Begginer question about py install

Player

During my setup install of python, I came across an option stating...
Compile python files to, .pyc

I left it unchecked for now, should I of done otherwise??

As I am a begginer to this, I didn't no if it was a needed option to be
checked or otherwise.

I assume by compiling the python files to pyc they would run that little bit
faster??

M.B

--
*************
The Imagination may be compared to Adam's dream-

Player

Also PyWin32 the latest version or build, will not install with the latest
version of python, it requires 2.2 version of python, while the latest v of
python is 2.3. :(

M.B

Scott David Daniels

Player said:
During my setup install of python, I came across an option stating...
Compile python files to, .pyc
I left it unchecked for now, should I of done otherwise??

Generally no biggie one way or another. If the python directories are
only admin (or root or...) writable, this is a good idea. Otherwise,
the first use of any module will do the compile, and all subsequent
uses will use that result.
I assume by compiling the python files to pyc they would run that little bit
faster??

They always get compiled, and the results of the compilation are stored
in either .pyc or .pyo files, if the write doesn't fail. Whether the
write fails or not, the compiled code is used.

-Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Player

: Player wrote:
:
: > Also PyWin32 the latest version or build, will not install with the
latest
: > version of python, it requires 2.2 version of python, while the latest v
of
: > python is 2.3. :(
: >
: > M.B
: >
: >
: You probably just grabbed the wrong version. Note that build numbers are
: now the same for all, but for Python 2.3.x you need:
:
:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pywin32/pywin32-202.win32-py2.3.exe?download
:
:
: HTH,
:
: --
: Vincent Wehren

Cheers, yeah I realised after someone told me about the different releases,
what I had done.
D'OH!!

Thanks anyways..
M.B