Best ASP.NET to JSP/Java web development Book

Jeremy Cowles

Hi all,

I have been on the fence about Java for a long time now and I saw today
that the "Java Studio Creator IDE" is now free (as soon as the
registration page starts working). So I want to get a book and see how
it compares to ASP.NET / Visual Studio.

I have a good understanding of OOP and have been writing code in
various languages for years, so I'm not looking for a complete beginner
programming book. Do you have any suggestions?

Would it be wise to get a straight-java language book also? What path
would you suggest for learning Java web development? I am wondering if
jumping right into JSP might be the wrong thing to do. (I know in .NET,
it's best if you learn the framework and a core language first, and
then learn the ASP.NET framework after you have a good understanding of
the language concepts.)

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
Jeremy