best machine for quartus and future multithreaded place and route plans...

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by wallge, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. wallge

    wallge Guest

    So I asked Altera when they would release a version of Quartus that
    would support multi-threaded
    place and route (this takes the most time on the designs I have worked
    on)
    I also asked them about the best (fastest) PC to run quartus on.
    here's my questions followed by their answers.
    Q:
    at the end of year I am thinking of purchasing a new PC to do my
    quartus
    and EDA development on. I was wondering how the system requirements
    will change with the release of vista, and what the ideal system
    configuration for
    running fast synthesis and place and route will be. Right now I am
    having to wait between
    15 minutes and two hours for various designs to compile. What system
    components will most contribute to faster place and route and synthesis
    (eg, more ram, more processors, faster ram, faster processors, 32 vs 64
    bit
    architecture?, any specific CPU more highly rated then others?)

    A:
    Altera does not have recommendations for CPUs/Mother Board. About the
    choice for AMD or Intel processor, Altera does not have testcases to
    show one way or another.

    However, the compile time is mostly related to CPU speed and physical
    memory size. For detailed information on memory requirements for
    compilation targeting different device architectures, please refer to
    the readme file by clicking Quartus II menu "Help -> Readme File".

    If system memory is enough and Quartus II don't use hard disk as
    virtual memory, you could try to upgrade your CPU speed for good
    performance. However, if memory is not enough and hard disk virtual
    memory is frequently used, the compilation time will increase more.
    Therefore, I think we could firstly satisfy the physical memory
    requirement of Quartus II compilation and then try to upgrade CPU
    speed.

    Multi processor system or multi-thread CPU will help you run other
    applications at the same time as running the Quartus II compile, but
    not necessarily will help with the compile time.

    Quartus II can support 64 bit system. Generally, 64 bit Quartus II can
    run faster than 32 bit if memory is adequately large (> 2G). However,
    the performance upgrade is dependent on specific design project and we
    can't provide detailed benchmark.

    64-bit Quartus II version 6.0 can be installed in UNIX Workstations
    (64-bit) (Solaris 8 and 9 only) or Linux Workstations (64-bit
    AMD64/EM64T processors) (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0/4.0 WS 64-bit for
    AMD64/EM64T only).
    Q:
    when will quartus be certified as being windows vista compatible, and
    is a 64 bit windows/vista version planned?

    secondly, with the rise of multicore and multiprocessor systems,
    is work being done to parallelize the algorithms for synthesis and
    place and
    route in order to achieve speed benefits available through
    multiprocessor systems as they become the norm in the PC market.

    A:
    I can't provide the exact schedule about Quartus II certification on
    Windows Vista. It's also due to the maturity of the OS. However,
    Altera software surely can support those operations systems if they are
    popular.

    Our roadmap for Quartus II software also includes multi thread or
    multiprocessor system support. However, the release schedule is also
    not determined by now. But it might be no later than the end of next
    year. Thanks for your understanding.

    wallge, Oct 13, 2006

  2. wallge

    avishay Guest

    Hi wallge,
    I'm dealing with this issue for some time, and after making some tests,
    I've arrived to several conclusions:
    * With reasonable amount of memory (1G), the main limiting factor is
    the CPU power
    * CPUs with larger caches seem to have some impact on the running time
    * Fast memory has very small, if any, impact on the running time
    * Multithreaded CPU are not utilized by Quartus, but you can run two
    instances independently on different partitions of the design, and
    increase overall speed that way.

    Avishay.

    avishay, Oct 18, 2006

  3. wallge

    wallge Guest

    finally... multiprocessor support

    Quartus II Software Version 6.1 Features and Enhancements

    Quartus II software version 6.1 includes software support for
    Altera's new Stratix III devices as well as its other CPLD, FPGA and
    structured ASIC families. Additional highlights of the performance and
    productivity enhancements include:

    * Multiprocessor support: Allowing parallel processing during
    compilation for computers with multiple processors results in a
    reduction in compile times. Quartus II software offers the first
    multiprocessor support from an FPGA vendor to take advantage of the new
    multiple-core processors.
    * Detachable windows support: Quartus II software GUI users can now
    move various tool windows independently around their desktop, allowing
    easier design analysis and management.
    * Chip Planner: A new integrated floorplanner and chip editor
    provides detailed design floorplan analysis and engineering change
    order (ECO)-editing capability.
    * Advanced I/O timing: Allowing designers to enter board trace
    parameters in Quartus II software results in more accurate I/O analysis
    and faster timing closure.
    * Pin planning enhancements: Automatic creation of a top-level
    design file from the pin planner results in more thorough I/O analysis
    and accelerated board design.
    * Windows 64-bit version: Quartus II software 64-bit version
    running on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 allows designers to
    take advantage of computers with more than 4 Gbytes of memory.
    * Expanded Linux support: Quartus II softwareincludes SUSE Linux
    Enterprise 9 support in addition to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

    wallge, Nov 8, 2006