Black boxing direct instantiation

Tricky

If I had a component declaration, I could easily black box it like
this:

attribute black_box : boolean;
attribute black_box of my_logic : component is true;

But how can I attach the same attribute to a direct instantiation
version of my_logic?

Andy

If I had a component declaration, I could easily black box it like
this:

attribute black_box : boolean;
attribute black_box of my_logic : component is true;

But how can I attach the same attribute to a direct instantiation
version of my_logic?

Does the following not work?

attribute black_box of my_logic : entity is true;

Andy

Tricky

Does the following not work?

attribute black_box of my_logic : entity is true;

Andy

No, because technically "my_logic" doesnt exist yet. The component
method gives the compiler a port definition to compare the port map of
the instantiation against, and black box tells the compiler to not
worry about the RTL underneath.

Basically I want the compiler to ignore the instantiation. From what I
wrote above, Im getting the feeling this isnt possible.

Andy

Yes, the entity has to exist, but its architecture does not (if you do
not specify it in the entity instantiation)... Just like you have to
declare the component, you have to define the entity.

Whether the tool will find the attribute on the entity, and "bind" the
entity to an external primitive, is another matter, and is likely tool
dependent.

Andy