    attribute black_box of my_logic : component is true;

    But how can I attach the same attribute to a direct instantiation
    version of my_logic?

    Tricky, Oct 25, 2010

  2. Tricky

    Andy Guest

    On Oct 25, 9:25 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    > If I had a component declaration, I could easily black box it like
    > this:
    >
    > attribute black_box : boolean;
    > attribute black_box of my_logic : component is true;
    >
    > But how can I attach the same attribute to a direct instantiation
    > version of my_logic?

    Does the following not work?

    attribute black_box of my_logic : entity is true;

    Andy

    Andy, Oct 25, 2010

  3. Tricky

    Tricky Guest

    On Oct 25, 4:47 pm, Andy <> wrote:
    > On Oct 25, 9:25 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    >
    > > If I had a component declaration, I could easily black box it like
    > > this:

    > > attribute black_box : boolean;
    > > attribute black_box of my_logic : component is true;

    > > But how can I attach the same attribute to a direct instantiation
    > > version of my_logic?

    > Does the following not work?
    >
    > attribute black_box of my_logic : entity is true;
    >
    > Andy

    No, because technically "my_logic" doesnt exist yet. The component
    method gives the compiler a port definition to compare the port map of
    the instantiation against, and black box tells the compiler to not
    worry about the RTL underneath.

    Basically I want the compiler to ignore the instantiation. From what I
    wrote above, Im getting the feeling this isnt possible.

    Tricky, Oct 26, 2010
  4. Tricky

    Andy Guest

    Yes, the entity has to exist, but its architecture does not (if you do
    not specify it in the entity instantiation)... Just like you have to
    declare the component, you have to define the entity.

    Whether the tool will find the attribute on the entity, and "bind" the
    entity to an external primitive, is another matter, and is likely tool
    dependent.

    Andy

    Andy, Oct 26, 2010