Blt/Pmw/Tkinter under cygwin@)x_C2fgA~Wi&@/V"f6vs*B.1`(};T=]?M6O;HvGS

Laura Conrad

I'm writing a GUI application in python, which will need to work on a
Windows XP box. Mostly it does, but the feature where results are
graphed in real time, which works fine on a debian LINUX box, refuses
to run on windows.

I'm currently running on cygwin, and changing to a standalone python
app would be a pain, but possible.

The BltGraph demo which comes with Pmw also refuses to run. The code
in that case is:

if not Pmw.Blt.haveblt(parent):
message = 'Sorry\nThe BLT package has not been\n' + \
'installed on this system.\n' + \
'Please install it and try again.'
w = Tkinter.Label(parent, text = message)
w.pack(padx = 8, pady = 8)
return

I have done something that I thought was installing Blt, but it
doesn't seem to have given this code what it wanted. As far as I can
tell from a simple-minded find/locate, the same Blt-related python
files are installed on the Debian box as on the Windows box.

So what do I do now?

Laura Conrad

Laura> I have done something that I thought was installing Blt,
Laura> but it doesn't seem to have given this code what it wanted.
Laura> As far as I can tell from a simple-minded find/locate, the
Laura> same Blt-related python files are installed on the Debian
Laura> box as on the Windows box.

Laura> So what do I do now?

I found it. The answer is that you need to not only install blt, but
tell it where tcl is, so the magic word is:

export TCL_LIBRARY=/usr/share/tcl8.4

In floundering around looking for this, I found a brand new blt3.0 to
install, instead of the blt2.4 I had been using, which may have also
fixed some of the problem.