Browser definition files

Mark Rae

Hi,

Trying to get an ASP.NET 2 site to work correctly in Konqueror on SuSE 10.
All *looks* fine, but there's no support for postbacks.

I found the following via Google:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t123309-aspnet-20-javascript-konqueror-support.html

which suggests a possible solution (thanks Juan) by creating a browser
definition file and placing it in
drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ CONFIG\Browsers

That's fine for my own environment, but I can't force my ISP to do the
same - no doubt they'll get round to this eventually but, for the moment,
they don't have a konqueror.browser file on the box that my sites are
running on.

Of course, I could simply drop a konqueror.browser file into the
App_Browsers folder of each of my sites, but I've never written one before
and am unsure where to start.

Nil desperandum - Juan continues to say that it's possible to achieve the
same solution by adding an entry into the <browserCaps> section of
web.config, although this technique is deprecated in ASP.NET 2 and won't
work in future versions of ASP.NET.

The site containing an example of how to do this can be found here:
http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/browserCaps_spaces.txt

As I was in a hurry, I made the mods to web.config as the site suggested as
a temporary solution, which did indeed fix the postback problem. Hurrah.

However, the slingfive.com site indicates that it hasn't been updated since
May 2005 (and the web.config stuff itself not since November 2004), which
made me wonder if there were any more recent versions available.

This time, a Google search revealed almost nothing:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...GGLG:2006-28,GGLG:en&q=App_Browsers+Konqueror

So, does anyone know if anyone has taken over the old browscap.ini service
and provides up-to-date browser definition files?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark