Building a rich client using web services and ie6 - Asynchronous requests.

Bill Zack

I understand that it is possible to build a rich client using IE6 and
Web Services. I understand the model using webservice.htc to make
synchronous requests to a web service from the browser.

In the case where the Web Service is hosted in IIS (ASP.NET) I am a
little confused as to how asynchronous calls would work. Wouldn't
that requre that a request be initiated by the server to the client?
Or would the client have to make a request later to collect the
response?

Bill Zack

Arthur Nesterovsky

Hi,
In the case where the Web Service is hosted in IIS (ASP.NET) I am a
little confused as to how asynchronous calls would work. Wouldn't
that requre that a request be initiated by the server to the client?
Or would the client have to make a request later to collect the
response?

It seems that you don't understand how asynchronous calls work.
So, I offer to read the following articles from MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service09032002.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service10012002.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/06/Threading/default.aspx

Bill Zack

I did get a couple of responses to this question, and they listed some
URLs that were very helpfull in explaining how to make asynchronous
requests from an ASP.NET client. In my case, however, the Web
Services Client will be an Internet Explorer (IE6) application making
Web Service request to an ASP.NET Web Service hosted under IIS. IE
will be using the Webservice.htc client-side HTML component to make
the requests.

The articles listed the following methods to recieve the final request
completion:
1. Polling
2. Wait handles
3. Callbacks

I would like to know if anything other than #1 will work in this case.
I can not quite see how an ASP.NET Web Service can initiate a session
with IE to use #2 or #3. (Although it would be great if it could.)

Any ideas?
Bill Zack