C++ IDE for Linux

jorgenoctem

Hello everyone, I've recently begun programming using the c++ language
in windows and now want to program on linux, but I was wondering what
IDE you'd suggest.

I'm looking for something with syntax checking where it will say
highlight an invalid statement, and possibly code formatting so my code
can look neat and I can navigate it easier. Also, I'm looking for an
IDE that has a feature where after I type a '.' after an object, I can
get a list of class members to choose from. I don't mind if the IDE
will compile my program for me or not, as I plan on learning how to
compile and use makefiles and such myself. I've read of people
suggesting emacs or xemacs, but I don't think that those programs have
the features I'm looking for, but if you can suggest an add-on for
those programs that will help it do what I'm looking for then that'd be
great.

In short, I want an IDE that has features to format my code so it's
easier to read and also hilight syntax errors so I can fix them.

If anyone can help me that would be awesome,
Thanks in advance for your help,

Justin

Victor Bazarov

jorgenoctem said:
Hello everyone, I've recently begun programming using the c++ language
in windows and now want to program on linux, but I was wondering what
IDE you'd suggest.
[..]

I suggest 'comp.os.linux.development.apps' as the place to ask
about Linux tools. Please ask C++ _language_ questions here.

bhannew

If you want use a IDT tool to program in Linux X window, KDE Develop
might be a good choice. And also, there are many c++ plugin for
vim(gvim) which can help you programming.

jorgenoctem wrote [10/27/2005 10:07 PM] :
[...]

Justin:
I've been looking for the same thing recently. It seem there is
anjuta
kdevelop
eclipse w/ CDT

I ended up with eclipse, although I may go back to kdevelop. eclipse is
nice because it's cross-platform, but the indexing doesn't work very
well right now. it does have "codeassist" which does a decent job.