Caching Problem: ASP/IIS5

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I'm working on an ASP application on my XP m/c.

    I've uploaded a copy of the ASP code and accompanying DB onto another server
    that is running both IIS5 & SQL Server. This is so that the development can
    be demonstrated to key users at particular points.

    However, when I access the application [on the server] from my machine, I'm
    getting to odd caching behaviour that I dont understand. All the pages are
    being cached and I need to refresh each page to get the accurate results.

    The server is configured such all content should expire immediately, and
    each ASP page has Response.Expires = 0 at the beginning, so AFAIK these
    pages shouldn't be cached!

    However, I'm using Fiddler to look at the headers:

    In the request headers it shows Pragma:no-cache;

    In the response headers is shows:
    - Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 10:34:40 GMT
    - Expires: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 12:00:00 GMT
    - Cache-Control: private, max-age=86400

    When I first call a page, Fiddler confirms that the CSS file and images are
    being downloaded, but the ASP is not. When I click on refresh, all the page
    components including the ASP file are downloaded.

    I'm not an expert on this area, so I'm struggling to figure out why & where
    the caching occurs. The problem only appears to be when I use this server. I
    have had problems with this in the past with a different application which
    was temporarily hosted there...

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris