Calling an Axis Web Service from SOAP

Discussion in 'Java' started by MikePA, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. MikePA

    MikePA Guest

    Hello folks,

    I'm pretty new to Web Services; I hope this is an appropriate forum
    for my question. With toil and with lots of help from a friend I
    managed to set up a small WS of my own. I have some clients that issue
    XML-RPC calls to the service by way of Apache SOAP. I've been using
    the normal (?) SOAP approach where you fill up a Call object with the
    service's URI, the remote method's name and parameters, etc., and
    finally supply the service's URL and send the call on its way.

    Now I'm trying to talk to another person's service that uses Axis, and
    my first instinct is to quickly determine their service's URL and URI
    and make note of the signature of the remote method I want to invoke.
    Then I can just make the call the same way I always have...right? But
    I do not see the service's URI anywhere, even in a sample client
    program. What I see is a different way of issuing calls wherein you
    create a Service object and attach a Call to that, and then fill in
    the specifics of your call. You supply the endpoint URL, but no
    reference is made to a URI. Nor can I find a URI in the WSDL file or
    the deployment descriptor (*.wsdd). Thus I cannot call this service
    the way I've been calling my own.

    Do I need to bite the bullet and learn some new concepts here? Or do I
    need to install Axis on my machine and model my own RPC on their
    sample client?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who shares their advice...

    MikePA, Apr 23, 2004

  2. MikePA

    Sudsy Guest

    MikePA wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I'm pretty new to Web Services; I hope this is an appropriate forum
    > for my question. With toil and with lots of help from a friend I
    > managed to set up a small WS of my own. I have some clients that issue
    > XML-RPC calls to the service by way of Apache SOAP. I've been using
    > the normal (?) SOAP approach where you fill up a Call object with the
    > service's URI, the remote method's name and parameters, etc., and
    > finally supply the service's URL and send the call on its way.
    >
    > Now I'm trying to talk to another person's service that uses Axis, and
    > my first instinct is to quickly determine their service's URL and URI
    > and make note of the signature of the remote method I want to invoke.
    > Then I can just make the call the same way I always have...right? But
    > I do not see the service's URI anywhere, even in a sample client
    > program. What I see is a different way of issuing calls wherein you
    > create a Service object and attach a Call to that, and then fill in
    > the specifics of your call. You supply the endpoint URL, but no
    > reference is made to a URI. Nor can I find a URI in the WSDL file or
    > the deployment descriptor (*.wsdd). Thus I cannot call this service
    > the way I've been calling my own.

    Look for the <service> tag in the WSDL and the contained <port> tag
    with a "binding" attribute.
    Then again, the spec permits separate descriptors for the definition
    and implementation parts.
    Without additional info, I can't offer more advice; I'm using IBM's
    WSDK under Eclipse and it does all the "nasty" work for me...

    Sudsy, Apr 24, 2004