Can A web service call another web page

Ken Pinard

I have a web service to store information. I want the my webservice to call
a vendors webservice for validation puposes.

What I want to accomplish with my webservice is this:

Receive data from a web page.
Validate it against preliminary checks.
If the validation fails return back to the submitter for clarification.
otherwise
save the information for reference
request a vendors web service for validation
if validated then
save the information and return data to the user
else
inform the user of the problem
end if
end if

Is there an object in vs.net that allows this?

Thank you,

Ken

BruceJohnson

If the vendor's web service has a WSDL that defines how to use it, it is
possible to use the WSDL.exe program to create a proxy object that can
be used to interact with it. In fact, if you simply add a web reference
to a VS.NET project, it uses the WSDL program in the background to
create the class that implements the WSDL interface.

If the vendor doesn't include a WSDL file, then you can build an
appropriately formatted HTTP request and send it to the web service
using the System.Net.HttpRequest and System.Net.HttpResponse classes.

HTH

Bruce Johnson
http://www.ObjectSharp.com/Bruce

Ken Pinard

Unfortunantly, the page I need to call is an ASP page that returns a simple
web page back. So I need to call this page and process the results. I can
accomplish from an ASP page and then call my webservice. But there is a
chance of the communication being lost. I would like to reduce the time that
an error can be introduced.

Thank you,
Ken

Jan Tielens

I have a web service to store information. I want the my webservice to
call
a vendors webservice for validation puposes.

Sure this is possible! Just add a webreference in your project to the
webservice of your vendor.

Ken Pinard

Sorry I mis spoke, my vendor does not have a webservice, but has a web page
I need to call. I keep lumping the concepts together when I write.

So I need to call my vendors ASP page and get results back.

Sorry for hte confusion,

Ken

Erymuzuan Mustapa

Yes , you can use WebCleint class to call the ASP page and parse the return
stream

Regards

Ken Pinard

Thank you,

That was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for the heads up.

Ken