Can A web service call another web page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Ken Pinard, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Ken Pinard

    Ken Pinard Guest

    I have a web service to store information. I want the my webservice to call
    a vendors webservice for validation puposes.

    What I want to accomplish with my webservice is this:

    Receive data from a web page.
    Validate it against preliminary checks.
    If the validation fails return back to the submitter for clarification.
    otherwise
    save the information for reference
    request a vendors web service for validation
    if validated then
    save the information and return data to the user
    else
    inform the user of the problem
    end if
    end if

    Is there an object in vs.net that allows this?

    Thank you,

    Ken

    Ken Pinard, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Ken Pinard

    BruceJohnson Guest

    If the vendor's web service has a WSDL that defines how to use it, it is
    possible to use the WSDL.exe program to create a proxy object that can
    be used to interact with it. In fact, if you simply add a web reference
    to a VS.NET project, it uses the WSDL program in the background to
    create the class that implements the WSDL interface.

    If the vendor doesn't include a WSDL file, then you can build an
    appropriately formatted HTTP request and send it to the web service
    using the System.Net.HttpRequest and System.Net.HttpResponse classes.

    HTH

    Bruce Johnson
    http://www.ObjectSharp.com/Bruce

    BruceJohnson, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Ken Pinard

    Ken Pinard Guest

    Unfortunantly, the page I need to call is an ASP page that returns a simple
    web page back. So I need to call this page and process the results. I can
    accomplish from an ASP page and then call my webservice. But there is a
    chance of the communication being lost. I would like to reduce the time that
    an error can be introduced.

    Thank you,
    Ken

    Ken Pinard, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Ken Pinard

    Jan Tielens Guest

    > I have a web service to store information. I want the my webservice to
    call
    > a vendors webservice for validation puposes.

    Sure this is possible! Just add a webreference in your project to the
    webservice of your vendor.

    --
    Greetz,
    Jan

    Jan Tielens, Dec 28, 2003
  5. Ken Pinard

    Ken Pinard Guest

    Sorry I mis spoke, my vendor does not have a webservice, but has a web page
    I need to call. I keep lumping the concepts together when I write.

    So I need to call my vendors ASP page and get results back.

    Sorry for hte confusion,

    Ken

    Ken Pinard, Dec 28, 2003
  6. Yes , you can use WebCleint class to call the ASP page and parse the return
    stream

    Regards
    --
    Erymuzuan Mustapa
    Inter Virtual Sdn. Bhd.

    Erymuzuan Mustapa, Dec 29, 2003
  7. Ken Pinard

    Ken Pinard Guest

    Thank you,

    That was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you for the heads up.

    Ken

    Ken Pinard, Dec 29, 2003