    abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?

    Thanks a lot.

    , Feb 12, 2008

  2. :

    > Hello everyone :
    > My English name is 'Eric Abraham', so Can 'aberic' be
    > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ? Or is there another better
    > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    In the English-speaking world, there's a strong tendency to call people
    by a single first name, i.e. "Eric" instead of "Eric Abraham".

    If you're looking for a friendly name that your friends can use for
    you, then I'd probably go with something like Ricky or Abe.

    --
    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

    Tomás Ó hÉilidhe, Feb 12, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > My English name is 'Eric Abraham', so Can 'aberic' be
    >abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?

    It could be for the purposes of an email address or user account.
    For example some of my accounts are 'robersonw'.

    >Or is there another better
    >abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?

    'ericab' would be more common than 'aberic'. 'eabraham'
    would be much more common than either. As a signature, 'Eric A.'
    would not be unusual.
    --
    "Every intellectual product must be judged from the point of view
    of the age and the people in which it was produced."

    Walter Roberson, Feb 12, 2008
  4. Ark Khasin Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello everyone :
    > My English name is 'Eric Abraham', so Can 'aberic' be
    > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ? Or is there another better
    > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    <OT>
    I figure it's mostly for US use where pretty much anything goes, even
    B.J., without prejudice.

    More ethnically-tuned people(s) would find your adopted name as odd as,
    say, Mohammad Rabinowitz - not impossible but unlikely. A side effect is
    a great potential to confuse name recognition software such as on you
    English-speaking friends' cell phones.

    My personal experience (of a Russian Jew with first name of Greek origin
    and last name either of common Semitic or of Ukrainian origin - go
    figure!) is: two syllables max, but e.g. Xerxes is a bit too much.
    And you've got to prove yourself Chandrasekhar to go easily with such a
    name.

    To your original question:
    Eric is an abbreviation of Eric Abraham.
    So is Abe.
    Aber - if you like puns (means "but" in German). Which is to say: beware
    of unintended connotations.

    Thank you for the opportunity to relieve my chest on the subject :)
    </OT>
    --
    Ark

    Ark Khasin, Feb 14, 2008
  5. Richard Bos Guest

    Ark Khasin <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > Hello everyone :
    > > My English name is 'Eric Abraham', so Can 'aberic' be
    > > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ? Or is there another better
    > > abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot.

    > <OT>
    > I figure it's mostly for US use where pretty much anything goes, even
    > B.J., without prejudice.

    Personally, I'd say Zuo Xing Dong is just as acceptable a name as
    Richard Lodewijk Bos, but maybe that's just me.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Feb 14, 2008
  6. pete Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > My English name is 'Eric Abraham', so Can 'aberic' be
    > >abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?

    > It could be for the purposes of an email address or user account.
    > For example some of my accounts are 'robersonw'.
    >
    > >Or is there another better
    > >abbreviation of 'Eric Abraham' ?

    > 'ericab' would be more common than 'aberic'. 'eabraham'
    > would be much more common than either.

    'eabraham' conforms to a logon name formula that I'm familiar with.
    Use the first initial followed by first seven letters of last name.
    If last name is short, then use more letters from the first name.
    Eight letters in a login name is small enough for old systems and
    large enough for most new ones.

    --
    pete

    pete, Feb 18, 2008