can i change it??

ttt.tas

Hi All,

i was wondering if it is possible to change the location of the dlls of

an application, by default, the assemblies of an application is loaded
in the bin folder in the applications folder, can i change some
configurations to save these dlls in another location???
i'm using asp v1.1 and .net studio 2003.

i'll also be thankful if anybody can tell me about any resources, books

or links where i can find any data regarding such an issue.

Thanks for ur help and quick reply

Guest

It can be done with assembly probing elements in the config file, but the
first question is "Why would you want to do this?". In other words, what is
the goal.
Peter

ttt.tas

thanx Peter for ur quick reply :)
actually i want to do so to prevent hackers from downloading dlls from
my server using hacking tools and reverse engineer and get my code back
:).
so i thought of changing the default location of the dlls, so i woul
dmake it harder for attackers to guess their new location.

does this make sence??

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

thanx Peter for ur quick reply :)
actually i want to do so to prevent hackers from downloading dlls from
my server using hacking tools and reverse engineer and get my code back
:).
so i thought of changing the default location of the dlls, so i woul
dmake it harder for attackers to guess their new location.

does this make sence??

Not really. First, my tests show that the "bin" folder is not reachable
when you try to navigate to it (I get a 404). I am not 100% if that's a
setting that my provider activated. Anyway, you can block unauthorized
access to a directory using authentication. If you put your DLLs in
another directory, how will you protect the access to that other dir?

HTH,
Laurent

ttt.tas

i tried using the probing element in web.config, but it didn work out
:(
it gives me a parser error as it couldn't locate the code-behind
classes