Can I resize Excel window from IE browser?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Peter Noneley, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Thank you for reading.

    I am not a programmer, I can just about cobble things together using
    code examples, so please be gentle!

    [What I want to do]
    - I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
    - I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
    - I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
    in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.

    Thats it, I dont know if it can be done. I have trawled through web
    sites with javascript examples but did not find anything that fitted
    the bill.

    I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can suggest an answer.

    Thanks

    Peter Noneley
    Cardiff (Overcast and dull)
    Wales
    UK
     
    Peter Noneley, Sep 5, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. (Peter Noneley) writes:

    > I am not a programmer, I can just about cobble things together using
    > code examples, so please be gentle!


    > [What I want to do]
    > - I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
    > - I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
    > - I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
    > in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.


    None of these will work in general. They require MS Office and MSIE
    to be installed. That suggests that you are aiming at a controlled
    environment (probably an office setting) where those programs are
    known to be installed.

    It can probably be done, but not with Javascript alone. Javascript
    alone has no general method for opening other applications (clicking
    on a linke to a ".exe" file might work, but that depends heavily
    on the security settings). Opening an HTML file in MSIE will most
    likely require the Javscript to run in MSIE already. Resizing
    other applications requires access to the operating system from
    Javascript, also not normally allowed by the security system.

    You can't use Javascript alone. You need some extra technology
    to iterface with the operating system. In your case, the obvious
    choice would be activeX controls, that you can the activate using
    simple Javascript. That means that the problem isn't the Javascript,
    so I suggest you try a more microsoft-centric group where they
    can help you with the interfacing of MSIE and Windows.
    Perhaps
    <URL:news:microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.programming.activexcontrol>
    (but I don't know these groups).

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Art D'HTML: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/randomArtSplit.html>
    'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
     
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Sep 5, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Peter Noneley

    Jim Ley Guest

    On 5 Sep 2003 03:43:56 -0700, (Peter Noneley)
    wrote:

    >[What I want to do]
    >- I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
    >- I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
    >- I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
    > in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.


    Not in a default security environment, www.zeepe.com has some useful
    methods to aid integration with office, what you want is certainly
    very doable, but not that simple.

    Jim.
    --
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/
     
    Jim Ley, Sep 5, 2003
    #3
  4. Lasse

    Thank you for the help and advice. It looks like I will have to try
    some other route as you suggest.

    If I ever do find the answer I will post it here.

    Peter
     
    Peter Noneley, Sep 5, 2003
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jim Bancroft

    resize a browser window in aspnet?

    Jim Bancroft, May 25, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,116
    Jim Bancroft
    May 26, 2005
  2. chris
    Replies:
    43
    Views:
    105,955
    brianberneker
    Feb 17, 2011
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,265
    Adrienne
    Feb 13, 2005
  4. David Logan

    Resize a browser window to content

    David Logan, Jul 14, 2004, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    212
  5. chris

    resize browser window on load

    chris, Sep 6, 2004, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    394
    Grant Wagner
    Sep 21, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page