Can I resize Excel window from IE browser?

Peter Noneley

Thank you for reading.

I am not a programmer, I can just about cobble things together using
code examples, so please be gentle!

[What I want to do]
- I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
- I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
- I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.

Thats it, I dont know if it can be done. I have trawled through web
sites with javascript examples but did not find anything that fitted
the bill.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can suggest an answer.

Thanks

Peter Noneley
Cardiff (Overcast and dull)
Wales
UK

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

I am not a programmer, I can just about cobble things together using
code examples, so please be gentle!
[What I want to do]
- I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
- I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
- I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.

None of these will work in general. They require MS Office and MSIE
to be installed. That suggests that you are aiming at a controlled
environment (probably an office setting) where those programs are
known to be installed.

It can probably be done, but not with Javascript alone. Javascript
alone has no general method for opening other applications (clicking
on a linke to a ".exe" file might work, but that depends heavily
on the security settings). Opening an HTML file in MSIE will most
likely require the Javscript to run in MSIE already. Resizing
other applications requires access to the operating system from
Javascript, also not normally allowed by the security system.

You can't use Javascript alone. You need some extra technology
to iterface with the operating system. In your case, the obvious
choice would be activeX controls, that you can the activate using
simple Javascript. That means that the problem isn't the Javascript,
so I suggest you try a more microsoft-centric group where they
can help you with the interfacing of MSIE and Windows.
Perhaps
<URL:(but I don't know these groups).

/L

Jim Ley

[What I want to do]
- I will have an application open, such as Excel or Word.
- I then want to open a HTML file in MSIE.
- I then want the HTML file to resize Excel to fit vertically
in 75% of the screen, and the HTML file to fit the remaining 25%.

Not in a default security environment, www.zeepe.com has some useful
methods to aid integration with office, what you want is certainly
very doable, but not that simple.

Jim.

Peter Noneley

Lasse

Thank you for the help and advice. It looks like I will have to try
some other route as you suggest.

If I ever do find the answer I will post it here.

Peter