Can Macintosh users able to access ASP.NET 2.0 site?

dreamamit2001

Hi,

I am new user to ASP.NET2.0? I would like to know can Macintosh users
able to access ASP.NET 2.0 site ?

I also want to know what are the features of ASP.NET2.0 which are not
supported for Mancintosh pcs? what are the workarounds for them?

Please guide me if anybody has accessed ASP.NET2.0 from Macintosh Pc.

Thanks and Regards,
Amit Samniwala

Mark Rae

I am new user to ASP.NET2.0? I would like to know can Macintosh users
able to access ASP.NET 2.0 site ?

It's important to understand that the main functionality of ASP.NET (just
like ASP, PHP, Perl, Java etc) is to render HTML markup and maybe
client-side JavaScript dynamically at run-time and stream it down to the
client browser. There's nothing particularly mysterious about this. The
client browser simply doesn't care (and probably doesn't know anyway) which
server-side technology was used to serve its content.
I also want to know what are the features of ASP.NET2.0 which are not
supported for Mancintosh pcs? what are the workarounds for them?

Again, there's nothing unique to ASP.NET 2 here. Just make sure that you
design your pages to be XHTML-compliant, and you can be reasonably certain
that they will render well enough on just about any browser on any operating
system, including Windows, Mac, Linux etc. That rule would apply equally
well if you were using ASP.NET v1.x, ASP Classic, Java, PHP, FrontPage, or
just plain old Notepad!

There are two main exceptions to this: only the Windows version of Microsoft
Internet Explorer supports ActiveX controls and client-side VBScript, so you
should avoid these at all costs. That said, ActiveX controls can be very
useful in *controlled and enclosed* environments where the browser platform
is predetermined e.g. for a corporate intranet, but should never be used on
a public site.

dreamamit2001

Hi Just to clarify that,

I would like to know whether Application developed in ASP.NET2.0 works
properly in Mac OS and IE Browser5.0 or so?

Thanks and Regards,
Amit Samniwala

Mark Rae

I would like to know whether Application developed in ASP.NET2.0 works
properly in Mac OS and IE Browser5.0 or so?

See my previous answer. ASP.NET 2 is irrelevant in this case.

However, IE is no longer shipped with MacOSX, and was officially
discontinued by Microsoft over three years ago:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/internetexplorer/internetexplorer.aspx?pid=internetexplorer

Therefore, you'd be well advised to use either Safari or FireFox to test
your pages on a Mac.

dreamamit2001

Hi Mark,

If I don't use Client side Vbscript and Activex control, will the site
developed in Asp.net2.0 work fine on IE5.0 Mac Os?
From your statement, does it mean that ASP.NET2.0's(Controls, Menubar,
Validations, Object Data Souce Controls, Treeview Control) are
compatible with IE5.0 browser on Mac OS.

Thanks and Regards,
Amit Samniwala.

Mark Rae

If I don't use Client side Vbscript and Activex control, will the site
developed in Asp.net2.0 work fine on IE5.0 Mac Os?

Only you can know that. Just because you don't use VBScript or ActiveX
controls, doesn't guarantee anything.

What standards do you code to...?

Is your markup XHTML-compliant...?
Validations, Object Data Souce Controls, Treeview Control) are
compatible with IE5.0 browser on Mac OS.

I have no idea, nor could I care less...

As I've already told you, Microsoft themselves dropped all support for IE on
the Mac over three years ago...

Let it go - it's gone.

Use Safari, Apple's new default MacOSX browser, or download and install
FireFox. Or Opera. Or Camino. Or SeaMonkey. Or...

On your site's homepage, detect the browser and OS and, if it's IE for Mac,
post a friendly message to the user telling them that IE for Mac is no
longer supported by the manufacturer and offer them alternatives.

If you have a Mac with IE installed on it, go here:

http://www.sanctuaryrig.co.uk

Edward

Hello,
Again, there's nothing unique to ASP.NET 2 here. Just make sure that you
design your pages to be XHTML-compliant, and you can be reasonably certain
that they will render well enough on just about any browser on any
operating system, including Windows, Mac, Linux etc.
Sorry but I disagree! I have a simple dotnet framework V2 website designed
without any fancy vbscript of javascript or third party controls and IT
STILL FAILS to display corrently under the Safari browsers (tested on
different Macs as well!)! Basically Safari does not seen to understand too
well the <DIV> element when they are nested and adjacent ...... very
frustrating indeed!

Thanks for your feedback upfront.

Edward Melbourne - Australia

Mark Rae said:
[...]

[/QUOTE]

Edward

Hi Amit,

My site written in ASP 2 is now happily working under Internet Explorer,
Safari and Mozilla-Firefox thanks to Marks suggestions, advice and help.

please refer to Mark's suggestions in this posting for the solution(s).

cheers

Ed

Mark Rae

please refer to Mark's suggestions in this posting for the solution(s).

Specifically, the bit about informing clients that IE for Mac is no longer
supported by the manufacturer, and advising them to download, install and
use another Mac browser...