Cannot singlestep into webservice to debug it

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tore, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. Tore

    Tore Guest

    I have a windows client communicating with a webservice (distributed
    application). I use C# in vs 2005

    The webservice contains a number of web methods. I need to set a breakpoint
    in the windows client and then single step into the webservice and web
    methods. This works fine for 3 out of 4 web methods in the same webservice.
    For the last web method it is impossible to single-step from the windows
    client into the web method. The single-steps remain within the windows
    client, so the web method cannot be properly debugged.

    I wonder how I can resolve this? I have tried to remove the web method and
    then re-insert it, change the name etc, but without any success.

    My project was converted from vs 2003 a couple of days ago. May be there is
    a problem with the conversion. Except for the details that need to debugged
    everything works fine.

    Regards

    Tore
    Tore, Jan 10, 2006

  2. Hi Tore,

    Welcome.
    As for debugging client winform app together with ASP.NET webservice
    application, it should be a bit different from debugging normal client app+
    class library project because for webservcie, the client application does
    not actuall load webservice's serverside assembly(code) , client app just
    send http SOAP message to webservice. So if you want debugging in code
    with both application together, we need to debug the webservice application
    and set the start up option to the winform app's exe file. Also, we need to
    add them into the same solution...

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 11, 2006

  3. Tore

    Tore Guest

    Thanks, but I am still confused. How is it posiible that single-stepping from
    the cilent into the webservice is possible for 3 out of 4 web methods? The
    4th simply will not work. Has it something to do with the way I have created
    the web method? Can I change anything so that single stepping wil work even
    for the last web method?

    I am still a novice. Can someone point me to good article on debugging of a
    distributed application with webServices?

    Regards

    Tore
    Tore, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Hi Tore,

    That's a bit strange. Did you find anything different on that particular
    webservice from others? Anyway, if you're debugging the webservice process,
    all of their code should be hitable in source editor......

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 12, 2006
  5. Tore

    Tore Guest

    There is nothing special with the web method that will not accept
    singlestepping. It contains straight forward update methods for sql
    dataAdapters and returns a dataset to windows client. I suspect this has
    something to do with the conversion from vs2003 to vs2005 I did some days
    ago, and that something "happened" to the project files. I saw a post
    somewhere that deleting some temp files could help such a problem. I am not
    so familiar with vs2005 file structure that I have dared to do this.

    Regards

    Tore
    Tore, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Thanks for your response Tore,

    It would be hard to say since some such problem is caused by some internal
    states of the project file or IDE's cache got corrupted. Anyway, if it
    works well for new created webservice and debugging them, that'll ensure
    the IDE dosn't have anything configured incorretly...

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 16, 2006