Cannot singlestep into webservice to debug it

Tore

I have a windows client communicating with a webservice (distributed
application). I use C# in vs 2005

The webservice contains a number of web methods. I need to set a breakpoint
in the windows client and then single step into the webservice and web
methods. This works fine for 3 out of 4 web methods in the same webservice.
For the last web method it is impossible to single-step from the windows
client into the web method. The single-steps remain within the windows
client, so the web method cannot be properly debugged.

I wonder how I can resolve this? I have tried to remove the web method and
then re-insert it, change the name etc, but without any success.

My project was converted from vs 2003 a couple of days ago. May be there is
a problem with the conversion. Except for the details that need to debugged
everything works fine.

Regards

Tore

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tore,

Welcome.
As for debugging client winform app together with ASP.NET webservice
application, it should be a bit different from debugging normal client app+
class library project because for webservcie, the client application does
not actuall load webservice's serverside assembly(code) , client app just
send http SOAP message to webservice. So if you want debugging in code
with both application together, we need to debug the webservice application
and set the start up option to the winform app's exe file. Also, we need to
add them into the same solution...

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?VG9yZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Cannot singlestep into webservice to debug it
| Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:52:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| I have a windows client communicating with a webservice (distributed
| application). I use C# in vs 2005
|
| The webservice contains a number of web methods. I need to set a
breakpoint
| in the windows client and then single step into the webservice and web
| methods. This works fine for 3 out of 4 web methods in the same
webservice.
| For the last web method it is impossible to single-step from the windows
| client into the web method. The single-steps remain within the windows
| client, so the web method cannot be properly debugged.
|
| I wonder how I can resolve this? I have tried to remove the web method
and
| then re-insert it, change the name etc, but without any success.
|
| My project was converted from vs 2003 a couple of days ago. May be there
is
| a problem with the conversion. Except for the details that need to
debugged
| everything works fine.
|
| Regards
|
| Tore

Tore

Thanks, but I am still confused. How is it posiible that single-stepping from
the cilent into the webservice is possible for 3 out of 4 web methods? The
4th simply will not work. Has it something to do with the way I have created
the web method? Can I change anything so that single stepping wil work even
for the last web method?

I am still a novice. Can someone point me to good article on debugging of a
distributed application with webServices?

Regards

Tore

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tore,

That's a bit strange. Did you find anything different on that particular
webservice from others? Anyway, if you're debugging the webservice process,
all of their code should be hitable in source editor......

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?VG9yZQ==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Cannot singlestep into webservice to debug it
| Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:46:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| Thanks, but I am still confused. How is it posiible that single-stepping
from
| the cilent into the webservice is possible for 3 out of 4 web methods?
The
| 4th simply will not work. Has it something to do with the way I have
created
| the web method? Can I change anything so that single stepping wil work
even
| for the last web method?
|
| I am still a novice. Can someone point me to good article on debugging of
| distributed application with webServices?
|
| Regards
|
| Tore

Tore

There is nothing special with the web method that will not accept
singlestepping. It contains straight forward update methods for sql
dataAdapters and returns a dataset to windows client. I suspect this has
something to do with the conversion from vs2003 to vs2005 I did some days
ago, and that something "happened" to the project files. I saw a post
somewhere that deleting some temp files could help such a problem. I am not
so familiar with vs2005 file structure that I have dared to do this.

Regards

Tore

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Tore,

It would be hard to say since some such problem is caused by some internal
states of the project file or IDE's cache got corrupted. Anyway, if it
works well for new created webservice and debugging them, that'll ensure
the IDE dosn't have anything configured incorretly...