Can't install SQL Server Express after VWD!!!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Silver, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Hello,

    I decided to try out Visual Web Developer, and so downloaded and
    installed it yesterday. I just tried to create a new Personal Web site,
    and it complained that it couldn't find SQL Server Express. I guess this
    wasn't installed with VWD (I got the impression it came with it, but I
    could have read the info wrong). So, I just downloaded SSE from the MS
    site and tried to install it. I got an error message telling me that it
    detected an incompatible components from beta versions of VS, .NET
    framework or SQL Server 2005. Apparently I have to remove these and then
    try to install SSE again.

    Well, if they are incompatible, won't I then have problems installing
    VWD again? Also, MS recommends installing SSE when you use VWD, so why
    are they incompatible?

    This is a fresh install of Windows Server 2003, SP1, with VWD installed.
    Nothing else.

    Anyone any ideas about this? It all seems a bit shoddy to me, but maybe
    I'm missing something obvious.

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Sep 15, 2005

  2. watch the versions...
    There are certain versions you need to use together. Remeber, these are
    still betas.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >watch the versions...
    >There are certain versions you need to use together. Remeber, these are
    >still betas.

    I just downloaded the only version of SSE I could find. It came from
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/

    That page specifically states "You can use any Visual Studio Express
    Edition to connect to SQL Server Express. Visual Studio Express products
    are available from this Microsoft Web site." Given that I downloaded VWD
    from the MS site, I'm not sure what version issues I could have. I
    downloaded and installed VWD yesterday (or maybe Tuesday, can't
    remember), and SSE today.

    Any further suggestions? Thanks for the reply.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >>watch the versions...

    Shortly after posting (ain't that always the way?), I noticed in the
    small print of one of the MS web pages that to install SSE, you need to
    go to Add/Remove Programs and run the VWD set up. There is an option
    there to add SSE, and this seems to grab an earlier version.

    This installed fine.

    Thanks for the help. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else.

    --
    Alan Silver
    Alan Silver, Sep 15, 2005