cant run asp file from subdir of Web root dir

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ed, Aug 3, 2004.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Hello,

    I took a course in asp about 2 years ago and I was
    practicing with IIS 5.0. Then I put it down for a while.
    Now trying to get back to it. I can't run asp files from
    subdirectories of my root directory, but I can run asp
    files from the root directory of my website and I can run
    htm files from the subdirectories. If I run

    localhost/mytest.asp

    this will run, and if I run

    localhost/subdir1/mytest.htm

    this will also run

    But if I try to run

    localhost/subdir1/mytest.asp

    this won't run. But it used to run. I have a directory
    called C:\MyWeb that I assigned as the root directory in
    IIS Manager. What do I need to do to get my asp files to
    run in the subdirectories of the root directory of my
    website?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Ed

    Ed Guest

    If it makes any difference, I also took a course in
    asp.net last year and loaded vs.net2003 on this server. I
    created another virtual dir for asp.net stuff. I can run
    my regular asp stuff from the .net virtual dir OK (along
    with the asp.net stuff). But I not only can't run my
    regular asp stuff from the original web dir, I can't edit
    or paste anything into the original dir either. I get the
    message "Access denied...Not authorized...etc"

    Is there something I need to reset in IIS Manager?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Ed

    thorpe Guest

    what do yuo meen by "cant run"? what errors are you getting if any?

    thorpe, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Page can't be displayed. Problem with the page

    So I try to edit the page in this directory but then I get
    the error message - "Access Denied - not authorized,
    etc". I can copy files from this dir (this dir is not a
    virtual dir but the Home directory) but I can't paste
    files to this dir or do any editing here.

    I created another virtual directory and I can edit the asp
    file here and fix the problem and display it. I am just
    wondering if there is a configuration issue with the
    original home directory (I have been tweaking this server
    left and right for stuff) or do I have a virus or what? I
    also have a problem with my smtp virtual dir - I used to
    be able to send emails from it a few months ago
    (legitimate - not spam or anything like that), but now I
    can't. I have to hook up directly (reference directly in
    my apps) to the company's official smtp server; can't
    alias my virtual smtp server anymore. Even a few months
    ago everything was OK (and then I quit working with it for
    a while). The pages that work, still work in that dir but
    I don't have rights there anymore. I have an
    administrator account on this server, and I'm the only one
    who uses it (although the I.T. Dept maintains it). Is it
    a virus, did I get locked out, or do I need to reconfigure
    something?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    Ed, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Ed

    joker Guest

    Sounds like an NTFS permissions issue at this point to me at least.

    joker, Aug 4, 2004