Capturing Windows Login with ASP

dave

Hi I have succesfully captured the users login detail, but I now
have a new problem I have assigned the login to a Session Variable, however
when I come to use the string stored in the variable it excludes the \ which
seperates the domain from the user name, it should be :DOMAIN\USERNAME , but
I am getting DOMAINUSERNAME which really is a pain. Anybody
know why this is happening and how I can overcome it ?

Thanks

Harag

Hi I have succesfully captured the users login detail, but I now
have a new problem I have assigned the login to a Session Variable, however
when I come to use the string stored in the variable it excludes the \ which
seperates the domain from the user name, it should be :DOMAIN\USERNAME , but
I am getting DOMAINUSERNAME which really is a pain. Anybody
know why this is happening and how I can overcome it ?

Thanks

are you using vbscript or jscript?

I guess jscript. "\" is the esc chr for jscript, you might need to
replace it with 2 "\\"

hth

al.

dave

Harag said:
are you using vbscript or jscript?

I guess jscript. "\" is the esc chr for jscript, you might need to
replace it with 2 "\\"

hth

al.

I have just realised that my problem lies elsewhere ! I am holding the user
login in a table which is passed to a new webpage via the URL and I am
reading the the variable from the query string ! This is where the character
is getting lost I believe, but I still do not know how to cure, so any more
help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

Harag

I have just realised that my problem lies elsewhere ! I am holding the user
login in a table which is passed to a new webpage via the URL and I am
reading the the variable from the query string ! This is where the character
is getting lost I believe, but I still do not know how to cure, so any more
help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

are you encoding the querystring?

%>">click me</a>

JP SIngh

Try this

sFullUser = trim(Request.ServerVariables ("LOGON_USER"))
sFullUser = replace(sFullUser,"/","\")
iPos = InStr(sFullUser, "\")
sDomain = Left(sFullUser, iPos - 1)
strUserName = Mid(sFullUser, iPos + 1)

make sure you have "Integrated Windows Auth" turned on your server

Jeff Cochran

I have just realised that my problem lies elsewhere ! I am holding the user
login in a table which is passed to a new webpage via the URL and I am
reading the the variable from the query string ! This is where the character
is getting lost I believe, but I still do not know how to cure, so any more
help would be gratefully received.

Either encode the query string, using HTMLEncode or URLEncode, or what
I do is split the string to domain and user and store them separately.

Jeff

dave

Jeff Cochran said:
Either encode the query string, using HTMLEncode or URLEncode, or what
I do is split the string to domain and user and store them separately.

Jeff

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I split the string ? as I feel this would be
the best way forward.

Dave

Harag

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:05:32 +0000 (UTC), "dave"

[snipped a load of lines]
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I split the string ? as I feel this would be
the best way forward.

Dave

Extracted from the MS scripting documents v5.6

HTH
Al.

Returns a zero-based, one-dimensional array containing a specified
number of substrings.

Split(expression[, delimiter[, count[, compare]]])
Arguments
expression
Required. String expression containing substrings and delimiters. If
expression is a zero-length string, Split returns an empty array, that
is, an array with no elements and no data.
delimiter
Optional. String character used to identify substring limits. If
omitted, the space character (" ") is assumed to be the delimiter. If
delimiter is a zero-length string, a single-element array containing
the entire expression string is returned.
count
Optional. Number of substrings to be returned; -1 indicates that all
substrings are returned.
compare
Optional. Numeric value indicating the kind of comparison to use when
evaluating substrings. See Settings section for values.
Settings
The compare argument can have the following values:

Constant Value Description
vbBinaryCompare 0 Perform a binary comparison.
vbTextCompare 1 Perform a textual comparison.

Remarks
The following example uses the Split function to return an array from
a string. The function performs a textual comparison of the delimiter,
and returns all of the substrings.

Dim MyString, MyArray, Msg
MyString = "VBScriptXisXfun!"
MyArray = Split(MyString, "x", -1, 1)
' MyArray(0) contains "VBScript".
' MyArray(1) contains "is".
' MyArray(2) contains "fun!".
Msg = MyArray(0) & " " & MyArray(1)
Msg = Msg & " " & MyArray(2)
MsgBox Msg

Jeff Cochran

Either encode the query string, using HTMLEncode or URLEncode, or what
Excuse my ignorance, but how do I split the string ? as I feel this would be
the best way forward.

I use:

strLogonUser = Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
tmpUserID = Split(strLogonUser,"\")
strUserDomain = tmpUserID(0)
strUserName = tmpUserID(1)

Now you can use UserName, UserDomain or LogonUser, whichever is
appropriate for your needs.

Jeff