    But when should we use cdoSendUsingPort and when should we use
    cdoSendUsingPickup? Is one better than the other, or is it just a matter
    of preference?

    Andy, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Andy

    Mark Schupp Guest

    This is my *opinion* (others may have other opinions).

    If you can use cdoSendUsingPickup do so. It has the advantage of not
    requiring that the SMTP server be running at the time the email is being
    sent. It also does not require ASP to make a network call to the SMTP server
    so I would expect it to be more efficient. Disadvantages: IUSR account (and
    possibly IWAM) account need modify access to the pickup directory. XP and
    Win 2003 no longer allow IUSR and IWAM accounts to read the metabase so you
    will have to specify the pickup directory
    explicitly(http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory).

    --
    --Mark Schupp

    Mark Schupp, Jun 1, 2005

  3. another disadvantage of using the smtp pickup method is MX records
    often emails sent without a valid mx record will get ignored or be
    considered spam and never reach their recipient.

    and emails sent using an smtp virtual server usually wont have a valid mx
    record

    these article explains the various methods in detail
    http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/sending_email_cdosys.asp

    Kyle Peterson, Jun 1, 2005