cdoSendUsingPort vs cdoSendUsingPickup

Andy

aspfaq.com Article 2305 "Why does CDO.Message give me 8004020F errors?"
recommends

"using a SendUsing value of 1 (pickup) instead of 2 (port)"

to try and resolve 8004020F CDO.Message errors.

But when should we use cdoSendUsingPort and when should we use
cdoSendUsingPickup? Is one better than the other, or is it just a matter
of preference?

Mark Schupp

This is my *opinion* (others may have other opinions).

If you can use cdoSendUsingPickup do so. It has the advantage of not
requiring that the SMTP server be running at the time the email is being
sent. It also does not require ASP to make a network call to the SMTP server
so I would expect it to be more efficient. Disadvantages: IUSR account (and
possibly IWAM) account need modify access to the pickup directory. XP and
Win 2003 no longer allow IUSR and IWAM accounts to read the metabase so you
will have to specify the pickup directory
explicitly(http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory).

Kyle Peterson

another disadvantage of using the smtp pickup method is MX records
often emails sent without a valid mx record will get ignored or be
considered spam and never reach their recipient.

and emails sent using an smtp virtual server usually wont have a valid mx
record

these article explains the various methods in detail
http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/sending_email_cdosys.asp