CDOSYS AND CDONTS on W2K3 machine

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by tshad, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I have both cdosys.dll and cdonts.dll on my W2K3 server.

    We have been told by our web authors that their asp code won't work on our
    machine and that we don't have CDONTS installed on our machine.

    They're getting an error from:

    Set objCDOMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")

    I know that the new format is:

    Set objCDOMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")

    Is there something special that we have to have installed to make CDONTS
    work?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005

  2. tshad

    tshad Guest

    > CDONTS doesn't come with W2k3 so unless you added it you are out of luck.
    > Either way though it's a dead technology, switch over to CDO.

    I agree and have already done that.

    Our problem is mostly temporary.

    We have a couple of companies doing projects for us and they are using the
    same project for others.

    We have W2K3 and others have W2K (which has CDONTS on it).

    I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work until
    they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this because it
    has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Well, while you ~can~ put the cdonts.dll file on your machine and regsvr32
    it, I suggest that you don't do that. Use CDO.Message.

    --

    Ray at work
    Microsoft ASP/ASP.NET MVP

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 14, 2005
  4. tshad

    Steven Burn Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315197

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jan 14, 2005
  5. > We have W2K3 and others have W2K (which has CDONTS on it).

    Windows 2000 also has CDOsys, so stop using CDONTS.NEWMAIL there, too.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jan 14, 2005
  6. tshad

    tshad Guest

    message news:%23YmzPen%...
    > Well, while you ~can~ put the cdonts.dll file on your machine and regsvr32
    > it, I suggest that you don't do that. Use CDO.Message.

    I agree.

    But if they want to be backward compatible with their other customers, they
    may balk at that - at the moment.

    But you do have to register it?

    How do I look to see if it is already registered?

    Is there a conflict problem if I am using both cdosys and cdonts?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005
  7. tshad

    Steven Burn Guest

    > But you do have to register it?
    </snip>

    Yes

    <snip>
    > How do I look to see if it is already registered?

    </snip>

    Start > Run, type: regsvr32 <dll_name>

    Doesn't really make a difference if it's already registered

    <snip>
    > Is there a conflict problem if I am using both cdosys and cdonts?

    </snip>

    No.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jan 14, 2005
  8. "tshad" <> wrote in message

    > But you do have to register it?

    Yes, you do. And with 2003, you may have to go into dcomcnfg
    (start--run--dcomcnfg) and verify that your IUSR account has permissions to
    execute the component after you register it.

    > How do I look to see if it is already registered?

    I guess if it's in dcomcnfg, it's registered, but it won't hurt anything to
    reregister it if it's already registered.

    > Is there a conflict problem if I am using both cdosys and cdonts?

    I don't believe that should be a problem.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 14, 2005
  9. tshad

    tshad Guest

    >> We have W2K3 and others have W2K (which has CDONTS on it).

    > Windows 2000 also has CDOsys, so stop using CDONTS.NEWMAIL there, too.

    Good point.

    Hadn't realized that.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005
  10. tshad

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:22:06 -0800, "tshad"
    <> wrote:

    >"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    >> CDONTS doesn't come with W2k3 so unless you added it you are out of luck.
    >> Either way though it's a dead technology, switch over to CDO.

    >I agree and have already done that.
    >
    >Our problem is mostly temporary.
    >
    >We have a couple of companies doing projects for us and they are using the
    >same project for others.
    >
    >We have W2K3 and others have W2K (which has CDONTS on it).
    >
    >I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work until
    >they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this because it
    >has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?

    Judging from your error I'd say... well... um...

    If you have an error you want a resolution to, you need to tell us
    what it is.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 14, 2005
  11. > Judging from your error I'd say... well... um...

    > If you have an error you want a resolution to, you need to tell us
    > what it is.

    Or be logical. "Gee, I have a 1978 Datsun B210 and a 2005 BMW 645i in the
    driveway. The Datsun won't start, can someone help, I really need to go buy
    some groceries, and I want to use the Datsun for some weird reason!"

    :)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jan 14, 2005
  12. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Jeff Cochran" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:22:06 -0800, "tshad"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
    >>> CDONTS doesn't come with W2k3 so unless you added it you are out of
    >>> luck.
    >>> Either way though it's a dead technology, switch over to CDO.

    >>I agree and have already done that.
    >>
    >>Our problem is mostly temporary.
    >>
    >>We have a couple of companies doing projects for us and they are using the
    >>same project for others.
    >>
    >>We have W2K3 and others have W2K (which has CDONTS on it).
    >>
    >>I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work until
    >>they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this because it
    >>has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?

    > Judging from your error I'd say... well... um...
    >
    > If you have an error you want a resolution to, you need to tell us
    > what it is.

    Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

    Server.CreateObject Failed

    /EmailEmpReg.asp, line 12

    800401f3

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005
  13. tshad

    Morris Guest

    tshad wrote:

    > I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work until
    > they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this because it
    > has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?

    *Moved* it? Do you mean just copied the dll over? Did you register it
    on the 2003 box?

    Morris

    Morris, Jan 14, 2005
  14. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Morris" <> wrote in message
    > tshad wrote:
    >

    >> I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work
    >> until they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this
    >> because it has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?
    >>

    > *Moved* it? Do you mean just copied the dll over? Did you register it on
    > the 2003 box?

    I don't remember if I registered it or not. I don't have access to the
    machine at the moment, but I was going to check that out. I hadn't realized
    that I needed to register it until someone else mentioned it earlier.

    Tom

    tshad, Jan 14, 2005
  15. tshad

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    >>>I moved CDONTS.DLL from my other machine to allow their code to work until
    >>>they change their code. But we are getting an error. Is this because it
    >>>has both .dlls (cdonts.dll and cdosys.dll) on the machine?

    >> Judging from your error I'd say... well... um...
    >>
    >> If you have an error you want a resolution to, you need to tell us
    >> what it is.
    >>

    >Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
    >
    >Server.CreateObject Failed
    >
    >/EmailEmpReg.asp, line 12
    >
    >800401f3

    That's typical of not having the CDONTS.DLL on the system, or of not
    registering it if you do have it. Either register the DLL and try it,
    or switch to CDOSYS which requires no registration of DLLs on your
    server.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 17, 2005
  16. tshad

    >>> Judging from your error I'd say... well... um...
    >>>
    >>> If you have an error you want a resolution to, you need to tell us
    >>> what it is.
    >>>

    >>Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
    >>
    >>Server.CreateObject Failed
    >>
    >>/EmailEmpReg.asp, line 12
    >>
    >>800401f3

    > That's typical of not having the CDONTS.DLL on the system, or of not
    > registering it if you do have it. Either register the DLL and try it,
    > or switch to CDOSYS which requires no registration of DLLs on your
    > server.

    Actually, I am doing both.

    Thanks,

    Tom