Centralizing MasterPage and Theme

Keith Patrick

I'm curious how folks are generally (if at all) centralizing the setting of
both MasterPage and Theme of a large group of pages. I have a content
viewer app where my initial solution was to just have 1 page with a master
page and theme, but I run into issues with site map navigation (long story).
So now, I'm moving towards the more standard usage of a MasterPage whereby
each page is just content wrapped by the master page such that the app still
looks like a single page app with different content internally. However, I
am supporting per-user themes and layouts (master pages), and I don't want
to hardcode values for every page. Is the best way to perform this to set
master page and theme during Page.OnPreInit, or is there some way that folks
find work better for this use case?