  1. Reny

    Reny Guest

    Can any one guide me on creating a chatting app with asp.net /vb.net
    Reny, Jun 14, 2006

  2. the best way to implement a Chat is using Java or Flash, bacause they
    profile a refresh textbox that you are refreshing every second and the user
    wont notice that!

    but using asp.net you can start bilding a Shared Class and have there the
    value from the chat window, Shared Class contains variables that are shared
    amontg all users in the same page (independent of browser/os/whatever) and
    off course that you can always go further using atlas and a gridview, atlas
    has a nice feuture that is you can refresh part of the page only using
    time... for example every 5 seconds...

    Atlas: http://atlas.asp.net

    give it a try and when you have more question post it here :)

    --

    Bruno Alexandre
    (a Portuguese in KĂžbenhanv, Danmark)

    Bruno Alexandre, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Reny

    vMike Guest

    "Reny" <> wrote in message
    > Can any one guide me on creating a chatting app with asp.net /vb.net

    Basic structure is you need to have the chat page and the admin page refresh
    and you need a method to detect new/change conversations and you need to
    store them on the server while you are having the conversation. I wrote a
    small chat at the used the cache to detect new chats and xml files to store
    the chats. I never really used it much, it was just a challenge of sorts but
    it worked. Would be happy to share it with you if you email me direct. It
    was written back with 1.1 but I never updated. You may need to tweak it a
    bit.

    Mike
    vMike, Jun 14, 2006