checking out if their U-A/browser settings support java

onetitfemme

Does anyone know of a smart way to do it?
..
There are plenty of users that don't support java, javascript and/or
AJAX's XMLHTTPRequest (people with handhelds, PDAs and ...) my app
would serve them basically the same page, but without the same
functionality
..
I am looking for ideas from people who have dealt with these issues.
..
Anyone?
..
Thanks

Oliver Wong

.
There are plenty of users that don't support java, javascript and/or
AJAX's XMLHTTPRequest (people with handhelds, PDAs and ...) my app
would serve them basically the same page, but without the same
functionality
.
I am looking for ideas from people who have dealt with these issues.
.
Anyone?
.

Show them a "pleaseWait.html" HTML page. The page will redirect itself
to "userDoesntHaveJava.html" after 15 seconds.

The "pleaseWait.html" page has an embedded applet which will redirect
the page to "userDoesHaveJava.html".

So if the user has Java, the applet will load, and the user will be sent
to userDoesHaveJava.html, and you can capture that GET request. If the user
doesn't have Java, the applet won't load, and eventually the user will be
sent to userDoesntHaveJava.html.

This fails if the user has a particularly slow system that doesn't
manage to load the applet in 15 seconds.

- Oliver