command line tool to convert VC project files to Makefile

Dave

Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
..vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

Thanks.

Dave

?

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=

Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

May be you can write such tool yourself, a few hours with Python
or Perl and will be done.

Greets

?

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=

Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

Cros-posting is a very very bad thing, don't do that !
Or if you have to, please give some information about that.
I realized it to late to react and don't send my answer.

By the way, I know I'm complaining to much ;-)), your question is OT here.

Greets

CBFalconer

Dave said:
Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

This is OT on c.l.c and c.l.c++. F'ups set. I believe VC has the
ability to write a make file from a project. Of course it is for
the non-standard nmake, but it should be close enough to rework.

Phlip

Dave said:
Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

You are asking about an assumed fix for an imagined problem. Your real
problem is you need a command line to compile projects directly from

If you use your editor directly on a project file, it will make, bake,
rebuild, etc:

msdev PackageTwo/PackageTwo.dsp /MAKE "PackageTwo - Win32 Debug"

DevEnv supports parallel malarky.

The problem with the "generate makefile" menu item is if you forget to do
it, and change your DSP or VCPROJ file, your command line version is
screwed.

Mark McIntyre

Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
with project files but no makefile.

FCOL, Read the documentation ! This is a menu choice in the IDE.

Dave

Mark said:
FCOL, Read the documentation ! This is a menu choice in the IDE.

Yes, I know that. But I am adamantly opposed to the inordinate
propagation of digital bile to my computer systems that inherently
results from the installation of overpriced bloatware such as Visual
Studio. I'm using the free VS.NET 2003 command-line tools which
features a pretty decent C/C++ optimizing compiler.

Now the folks at microsoft.public.vc.* are going to probably wage war
against me for posting a message deemed "OT" because it doesn't involve
the entire VC suite; meanwhile, I'll receive flames from comp.lang.c/c++
for adding yet another reply to a thread which isn't strictly ISO
standard C/C++ in nature. I'm sorry that there isn't an
alt.comp.programming.tools.win32.nmake group, but c'mon people, we
aren't programming in a vacuum are we?

If I can't find an existing solution, I'll probably end up writing one
myself in Perl, which I'll upload to CPAN. Naturally it will extend to
a portable cross-platform make/project file conversion utility capable
of handling multiple formats, including GNU, MS, Borland, etc. You'll
end up thanking me.

Dave

Phlip

Dave said:
Now the folks at microsoft.public.vc.* are going to probably wage war
against me for posting a message deemed "OT" because it doesn't involve
the entire VC suite;

Could you get down off the crucifix? We need to use the wood.

Unlike this newbie-magnet forum, nothing's off-topic anywhere in MSDN. The
favored approach cross-posts a question to two or seven newsgroups of
marginal appropriateness. MS's own drones answer questions, and preen out
the crap.

Post your question there, get an answer, get on with your project.
meanwhile, I'll receive flames from comp.lang.c/c++

Uh, yeah.
for adding yet another reply to a thread which isn't strictly ISO
standard C/C++ in nature. I'm sorry that there isn't an
alt.comp.programming.tools.win32.nmake group, but c'mon people, we
aren't programming in a vacuum are we?

Regulars compete with each other to answer on-topic questions correctly,
that's why posting on-topic is in your best interest.
If I can't find an existing solution, I'll probably end up writing one
myself in Perl, which I'll upload to CPAN. Naturally it will extend to
a portable cross-platform make/project file conversion utility capable
of handling multiple formats, including GNU, MS, Borland, etc. You'll
end up thanking me.

There are already Makefile managers in Perl.

I would use Rake, a Makefile replacement in Ruby.

Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
signal to noise ratio

typical of usenet

lots of bitching about the OP, no substantive answers.

whereof we do not know, we cannot speak.

Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I hope this helps

This open-source project should do what you want, or at least be a good start: http://code.google.com/p/make-it-so/

(I need to declare an interest: that this is a project that I wrote. I know that some forums object to self-publicity, but I think that this is a relevant answer to the original question, and I hope it helps anyone who finds this question.)