    with project files but no makefile.

    Thanks.

    Dave
    Dave, Aug 8, 2004

  2. On 8/8/2004 10:52 PM, Dave wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    > of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    > .vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    > don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    > with project files but no makefile.

    May be you can write such tool yourself, a few hours with Python
    or Perl and will be done.

    Greets

    --

    Mateusz £oskot
    mateusz at loskot dot net
    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=, Aug 8, 2004

  3. On 8/8/2004 10:52 PM, Dave wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    > of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    > .vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    > don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    > with project files but no makefile.

    Cros-posting is a very very bad thing, don't do that !
    Or if you have to, please give some information about that.
    I realized it to late to react and don't send my answer.

    By the way, I know I'm complaining to much ;-)), your question is OT here.

    Greets

    --

    Mateusz £oskot
    mateusz at loskot dot net
    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=, Aug 8, 2004
  4. Dave

    CBFalconer Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    > of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    > .vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    > don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    > with project files but no makefile.

    This is OT on c.l.c and c.l.c++. F'ups set. I believe VC has the
    ability to write a make file from a project. Of course it is for
    the non-standard nmake, but it should be close enough to rework.

    --
    "Churchill and Bush can both be considered wartime leaders, just
    as Secretariat and Mr Ed were both horses." - James Rhodes.
    CBFalconer, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Dave

    Phlip Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    > of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    > .vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    > don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    > with project files but no makefile.

    You are asking about an assumed fix for an imagined problem. Your real
    problem is you need a command line to compile projects directly from

    If you use your editor directly on a project file, it will make, bake,
    rebuild, etc:

    msdev PackageTwo/PackageTwo.dsp /MAKE "PackageTwo - Win32 Debug"

    DevEnv supports parallel malarky.

    The problem with the "generate makefile" menu item is if you forget to do
    it, and change your DSP or VCPROJ file, your command line version is
    screwed.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Aug 9, 2004
  6. On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:52:10 -0400, in comp.lang.c , Dave <>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    >of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    >.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    >don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    >with project files but no makefile.

    FCOL, Read the documentation ! This is a menu choice in the IDE.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Mark McIntyre wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:52:10 -0400, in comp.lang.c , Dave <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone know of a Windows compatible command line tool that capable
    >>of parsing Microsoft's VC++ workspace/project (e.g., .dsw, .dsp, .sln,
    >>.vcproj, etc.) files and generating an nmake-compatible Makefile. I
    >>don't like or use the IDE but many authors distribute their source code
    >>with project files but no makefile.

    > FCOL, Read the documentation ! This is a menu choice in the IDE.

    Yes, I know that. But I am adamantly opposed to the inordinate
    propagation of digital bile to my computer systems that inherently
    results from the installation of overpriced bloatware such as Visual
    Studio. I'm using the free VS.NET 2003 command-line tools which
    features a pretty decent C/C++ optimizing compiler.

    Now the folks at microsoft.public.vc.* are going to probably wage war
    against me for posting a message deemed "OT" because it doesn't involve
    the entire VC suite; meanwhile, I'll receive flames from comp.lang.c/c++
    for adding yet another reply to a thread which isn't strictly ISO
    standard C/C++ in nature. I'm sorry that there isn't an
    alt.comp.programming.tools.win32.nmake group, but c'mon people, we
    aren't programming in a vacuum are we?

    If I can't find an existing solution, I'll probably end up writing one
    myself in Perl, which I'll upload to CPAN. Naturally it will extend to
    a portable cross-platform make/project file conversion utility capable
    of handling multiple formats, including GNU, MS, Borland, etc. You'll
    end up thanking me.

    Dave
    Dave, Aug 10, 2004
  8. Dave

    Phlip Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Now the folks at microsoft.public.vc.* are going to probably wage war
    > against me for posting a message deemed "OT" because it doesn't involve
    > the entire VC suite;

    Could you get down off the crucifix? We need to use the wood.

    Unlike this newbie-magnet forum, nothing's off-topic anywhere in MSDN. The
    favored approach cross-posts a question to two or seven newsgroups of
    marginal appropriateness. MS's own drones answer questions, and preen out
    the crap.

    Post your question there, get an answer, get on with your project.

    > meanwhile, I'll receive flames from comp.lang.c/c++

    Uh, yeah.

    > for adding yet another reply to a thread which isn't strictly ISO
    > standard C/C++ in nature. I'm sorry that there isn't an
    > alt.comp.programming.tools.win32.nmake group, but c'mon people, we
    > aren't programming in a vacuum are we?

    Regulars compete with each other to answer on-topic questions correctly,
    that's why posting on-topic is in your best interest.

    > If I can't find an existing solution, I'll probably end up writing one
    > myself in Perl, which I'll upload to CPAN. Naturally it will extend to
    > a portable cross-platform make/project file conversion utility capable
    > of handling multiple formats, including GNU, MS, Borland, etc. You'll
    > end up thanking me.

    There are already Makefile managers in Perl.

    I would use Rake, a Makefile replacement in Ruby.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Aug 10, 2004
  9. Dave

    jarthurrank

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    signal to noise ratio

    typical of usenet

    lots of bitching about the OP, no substantive answers.

    whereof we do not know, we cannot speak.
    jarthurrank, Oct 23, 2008
  10. Dave

    RichardShepherd

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    I hope this helps

    This open-source project should do what you want, or at least be a good start: http://code.google.com/p/make-it-so/

    (I need to declare an interest: that this is a project that I wrote. I know that some forums object to self-publicity, but I think that this is a relevant answer to the original question, and I hope it helps anyone who finds this question.)
    RichardShepherd, Jan 1, 2012