Communication Java - COM

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andreas Schachl, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Hello!

    Ive got hte following problem:

    I have to develop a Plug In for an already existing (java) software, which
    allows me to take data out of the system and display them in the outlook
    calendar. This Plug In should (!!!) work on win32 and apple (apple is no
    "must have").

    Im currently thinking about 3 ways to accomplish this:

    For communication with Outlook I would like to use COM, but it looks like
    that I will have to use middleware. I have already compared some products
    and I think that J-Integra fits best - the problem is that its quite
    expensive and this also increase the price of our product. Another way would
    be to write a DLL and communicate with the DLL via JNI. This would be
    cheaper, but my C / C++ skills arent very high and this solution would only
    fit for this special case. The third possibillity would be to use an
    existing implementation of a java calendar, but I havent found any suitable
    calendars until now.

    What do you think would be the best solution - anybody a different idea how
    to solve this problem?

    Thanks in advance!

    Andreas
    Andreas Schachl, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Bjorn A wrote:
    > "Andreas Schachl" wrote...
    >
    >>I have to develop a Plug In for an already existing (java)
    >>software, which allows me to take data out of the system
    >>and display them in the outlook calendar. This Plug In
    >>should (!!!) work on win32 and apple (apple is no
    >>"must have").

    > [snipped alternatives]
    >

    >>What do you think would be the best solution - anybody
    >>a different idea how to solve this problem?

    > A much simpler solution is to make ít Java-only! Since you can extract all
    > necessary data using only Java, you can do that and write a simple
    > ASCII-file using the .vcs (vCalendar) format.
    >
    > The advantages with this approach is that the solution works on any
    > platform, with any Calendar-program that recognizes the vcs-format. Chances
    > are great that the suffixes .vcs and .ics are associated with their
    > Calendar-program. Then it's just to open the files, and the data is
    > automatically imported.
    >
    > I have used this solution myself since our different users use so many
    > different calendars (Outlook, Palm/Palm Desktop on PC/Mac, iPod/iCal on Mac,
    > etc.).
    >
    > You can read about the vCalendar-formats in the RFC:s:
    >
    > http://www.imc.org/pdi/
    >

    > // Bjorn A

    Thx for the tip, but I wanted to use the outlook calendar only to
    display the data from our main program, so that its very easy for
    experienced Outlook users to work with our product.
    Andreas Schachl, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Hello Andreas!

    > For communication with Outlook I would like to use COM, but it looks like
    > that I will have to use middleware. I have already compared some products
    > and I think that J-Integra fits best - the problem is that its quite
    > expensive and this also increase the price of our product. Another way would
    > be to write a DLL and communicate with the DLL via JNI. This would be
    > cheaper, but my C / C++ skills arent very high and this solution would only
    > fit for this special case.

    Are you sure you've evaluated all the bridges around?
    I wanted to advice you take a look at JNIWrapper
    (http://www.jniwrapper.com). It is a JNI bridge and besides the
    recently released 2.0 Beta allows bridging with COM/ActiveX. The price
    is far less than that for J-Integra.

    Hope it helps,
    EToporov
    Eugene Toporov, Aug 21, 2003