Congrats to why_

James Britt

I don't recall seeing this mentioned here before, and I just read a post
on Joel Spolsky's site about a new book, The Best Software Writing I:
Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky.

Check out the list of names. Interesting lot.

Especially that last guy.

James Britt

Farrel Lifson

I saw the announcement about that on his Spolsky's website and I
thought "wy has GOT to be in there..."

Congrats!

Simon Strandgaard

I don't recall seeing this mentioned here before, and I just read a post
on Joel Spolsky's site about a new book, The Best Software Writing I:
Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky.
=20
http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=3D453
=20
Check out the list of names. Interesting lot.
=20
Especially that last guy.

Congrats to why_, it looks like an interesting book.
The appetizer was good.. still I am not entirely sure what
the book is about.

why the lucky stiff

James said:

Check out the list of names. Interesting lot.

Especially that last guy.

And acres of jubilant thanks to all of you fine helpers. It's been well
over a year since I started this particular brand of poignancy and
there's no end to the new flow of kind people who are still just
becoming acquainted with the elf, his pet ham, the time-travelling uncle
and his dead niece, the goat, the foxes tall and small, et al. I doubt
the import or effectiveness of what I'm doing constantly, but I feel
compelled to do it. In fact, there's something very compelling about
working on something of such dubious relevance!!

I'm also happy to say that I've just reorganized my waking hours and
malloc'd a huge chunk of time each week to work on the book.
Forthcoming: a sparkly magic beard for cats and a spaceship full of
married couples and one panda.

_why

jeem

Sounds like nifty book. Here's the list of essays (from JS's site):

Ken Arnold - Style Is Substance
Leon Bambrick - Award for the Silliest User Interface: Windows Search
Michael Bean - The Pitfalls of Outsourcing Programmers
Rory Blyth - Excel as a Database
Adam Bosworth - ICSOC04 Talk
danah boyd - Autistic Social Software
Raymond Chen - Why Not Just Block the Apps That Rely on Undocumented
Behavior?
Kevin Cheng and Tom Chi - Kicking the Llama
Cory Doctorow - Save Canada's Internet from WIPO
ea_spouse - EA: The Human Story
Bruce Eckel - Strong Typing vs. Strong Testing
Paul Ford - Processing Processing
Paul Graham - Great Hackers
John Gruber - The Location Field is the New Command Line
Gregor Hohpe - Starbucks Does Not Use Two-Phase Commit
Ron Jeffries - Passion
Eric Johnson - C++ -- The Forgotten Trojan Horse
Eric Lippert - How Many Microsoft Employees Does it Take to Change a
Lightbulb?
Michael "Rands" Lopp - What to do when you're screwed
Larry Osterman - Larry's Rules of Software Engineering #2: Measuring
Testers by Test Metrics Doesn't
Mary Poppendieck - Team Compensation
Rick Schaut - Mac Word 6.0
Clay Shirky - A Group is its Own Worst Enemy
Clay Shirky - Group as User: Flaming and the Design of Social Software
Eric Sink - Closing the Gap
Eric Sink - Hazards of Hiring
Aaron Swartz - PowerPoint Remix
why the lucky stiff - A Quick (and Hopefully Painless) Ride Through
Ruby (with Cartoon Foxes)