Consume ASCX Controls Remotely

David Bowey

Hi There!

I have som reusable ASCX controls that I also want to let my clients use in
their websites. However, I don't want them to "have" the ASCX controls on
their web servers. Instead I would like them to consume the ASCX controls
remotely from their web servers.

How is this possible? Can I use Web Services to do this? If so please give
me some pointers. Very much appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Dave

David Bowey

Hi Steve!

Thanks the reply. The reason I don't want to let them have the controls is
because they haven't paid for the controls. All the controls are created
myself and I will let the clients use these controls to speed up their
development and I'm only charging them the cost of the development of the
web site **only** and not the controls. Controls will be shared by all
clients and they won't need to pay me for it. If I include the charge of the
controls, the price will be gone up and I don't want that to happen.

So, for me it doesn't matter ASCX or Web Controls, as long as it does not
stay on their servers.

So, any ideas? :)

Cheers,
Dave

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, you should definitely use a custom control instead of a user control.
Custom controls can be compiled into DLLs so they can be easily distributed,
while their source code cannot be easily seen.
You can even obfuscate them so they can't be easily decompiled.
You can optionally include licensing features to ensure your control doesn't
break free on the internet.
http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspose.License/

Brock Allen

There's no distributed ASCX functionality. You would make a ASPX endpoint
available to them and they could display it in a frame or iframe perhaps,
but that's about the best it's going to get. For them to use a ASCX they
need access to the physical file.

The common way to distribute controls to other developers outside your organization
is to create a composite control and package it as its own assembly. This
is slightly better than handing over a ASCX file.

What's the aversion to giving them a file? I don't see what the difference
is providing the functionality via a file they use locally versus remote
access to the same thing. I must be missing something...

Another way to provide remote functionality is via a webservice.

*shrug*

David Bowey

Thanks for pointing the possibilities. I will evaluate each of them
carefully.

Thanks!
Dave