Consume web service via XMLHTTP on intranet security problems

Chris Holliday

*Crossposted to microsoft.public.dotnet.webservices*

This is all on our intranet and everything is running on Win 2K. We have an
ASP application that is quasi-consuming a webservice using XMLHTTP. What
security settings do we need on the web service server (different from the
ASP app server) so that we can use directory security to protect the ASP
page.

Right now, anyone can directly view the test web service page (generated by
VS.NET). But the offending APS app gets: The requested resource cannot be
accessed" kind of error message.

I have anonymous access enabled on the web service server application using
the IUSR account. On the web service directory, the Everyone user has full
control and the IUSR and ASPNET users have read/write.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Holliday

The problem is that we dont have Anonymous Access enabled.

Does the loggedon user need to be given permissions on the web service too?
Is there no way to let the user logon to the site via NT security, but then
have the web service security managed via another method?

Thanks,

C.