Copy Web tool does not copy sub dirs?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    I think the Copy Web tool is a great idea but its implementation could use
    improvement. Either that or I am using it incorrectly.

    Basically I do not see any option to copy an entire site in one command, but
    the docs say this exists. Does anyone know how to do this?

    If I right click on the left hand side I do get an option that says "Copy
    site to remote". When I choose it though it says its doing something, then
    it finishes almost right away, and nothing was transferred.

    Also another big issue is that it does not appear to copy subdirectorys.
    For example let's say I have /images/set1/ and /images/set2/. If I click on
    the main images folder in the source and tell it to copy it, it only copies
    the folder. So far the only way I've found to do this is to drill down into
    every subdirectory on the source and copy them one at a time.

    Am I missing something or are these limitations at this time?

    Thanks,

    Steve
    Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005

  2. Just as a side note...
    There is a free tool out there called UnleashIT written by a regular to the
    groups. It's quite nice in deploying your site(s) with tons of config
    options. It lets you deploy to \\server\share, to FTP and even to ZIP...

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Sep 14, 2005

  3. Steve Franks

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Steve Franks wrote:
    > I think the Copy Web tool is a great idea but its implementation
    > could use improvement. Either that or I am using it incorrectly.
    >
    > Basically I do not see any option to copy an entire site in one
    > command, but the docs say this exists. Does anyone know how to do
    > this?
    > If I right click on the left hand side I do get an option that says
    > "Copy site to remote". When I choose it though it says its doing
    > something, then it finishes almost right away, and nothing was
    > transferred.
    > Also another big issue is that it does not appear to copy
    > subdirectorys. For example let's say I have /images/set1/ and
    > /images/set2/. If I click on the main images folder in the source
    > and tell it to copy it, it only copies the folder. So far the only
    > way I've found to do this is to drill down into every subdirectory on
    > the source and copy them one at a time.
    > Am I missing something or are these limitations at this time?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    It *will* copy subdirectories, but it only copies files that have a "build action"
    set to "content" (see properties). A build action of "none" is a great way
    to have documentation files in your projects that do not get copied to
    the live site, but files that you need might get this by accident.

    A quick way to search is to look in your project file (.csproj) for 'BuildAction = "None" '.

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Thanks for the great tip.

    How do you access a folder's properties? I right clicked on a folder in the
    VS.NET explorer view and expected to see a "Properties" item in the context
    menu that popups up, but there was no such option.

    In looking through the source of my .csproj file I did see a bunch of files
    with BuildAction all set to "Code". However these entries were all for
    files. I did not see any of my folders listed there.

    Please advise. Thank you!

    Steve

    Steve Franks, Sep 15, 2005