Copy Web tool does not copy sub dirs?

Steve Franks

I think the Copy Web tool is a great idea but its implementation could use
improvement. Either that or I am using it incorrectly.

Basically I do not see any option to copy an entire site in one command, but
the docs say this exists. Does anyone know how to do this?

If I right click on the left hand side I do get an option that says "Copy
site to remote". When I choose it though it says its doing something, then
it finishes almost right away, and nothing was transferred.

Also another big issue is that it does not appear to copy subdirectorys.
For example let's say I have /images/set1/ and /images/set2/. If I click on
the main images folder in the source and tell it to copy it, it only copies
the folder. So far the only way I've found to do this is to drill down into
every subdirectory on the source and copy them one at a time.

Am I missing something or are these limitations at this time?

Thanks,

Steve

Guest

Just as a side note...
There is a free tool out there called UnleashIT written by a regular to the
groups. It's quite nice in deploying your site(s) with tons of config
options. It lets you deploy to \\server\share, to FTP and even to ZIP...

Hans Kesting

Steve said:
[...]

It *will* copy subdirectories, but it only copies files that have a "build action"
set to "content" (see properties). A build action of "none" is a great way
to have documentation files in your projects that do not get copied to
the live site, but files that you need might get this by accident.

A quick way to search is to look in your project file (.csproj) for 'BuildAction = "None" '.

Hans Kesting

Steve Franks

Thanks for the great tip.

How do you access a folder's properties? I right clicked on a folder in the
VS.NET explorer view and expected to see a "Properties" item in the context
menu that popups up, but there was no such option.

In looking through the source of my .csproj file I did see a bunch of files
with BuildAction all set to "Code". However these entries were all for
files. I did not see any of my folders listed there.

Please advise. Thank you!

Steve