Crash?

Samuël van Laere

Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
without affecting other browsers?
Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

Regards,
Samuël

Dylan Parry

but apparently it has said:
Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

Obviously, the above is *not* valid code, but any real parser should
simply ignore the attributes that it does not understand.

Leif K-Brooks

Dylan said:
One way that I recall is using <input type crash>, but apparently it
has been fixed in SP2.

IIRC, just using <input type> is enough to make it crash.

Spartanicus

Samuël van Laere said:
Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
without affecting other browsers?
Why?

Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

If you don't like IE, don't use it. Don't start playing childish games.

Lee Marsh

This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

--
<=============>
--Lee

Goodbye, adios, bis bald, see ya later, weidersehen, and everything in
between

SpaceGirl

Lee said:
This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Dylan Parry

SpaceGirl said:
It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

Not entirely true. You *can* close a window that wasn't opened by
JavaScript, but your browser (most anyway) will display an alert message
saying something like "JavaScript is trying to close this window:
Okay/Cancel" -- of course, this alone is going to piss a lot of folk off.

SpaceGirl

Dylan said:
Not entirely true. You *can* close a window that wasn't opened by
JavaScript, but your browser (most anyway) will display an alert message
saying something like "JavaScript is trying to close this window:
Okay/Cancel" -- of course, this alone is going to piss a lot of folk off.

Okay, true :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Oli Filth

Lee said:
This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

That would be cheating! I'm guessing the browser wants some code that
/should/ act the same in all browsers, it's just that IE screws it up.

Oli

Travis Newbury

Samuël van Laere said:
Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
without affecting other browsers?
Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

Well you win the dumbest question award.

Travis Newbury

Lee said:
I'm out of ideas then. Perhaps if you could somehow tell the IE how inferior
it is to Mozilla, it would close itself in shame?

How about just making pages that are validating, IE will take care of
the rest for you.

But make sure you warn people that it is their browser that is screwing
it up because most IE users will simply attribute the crappy page to
your skills and just never come back to your page.

Mitja

Heh. He's right! Works in IE 6 SP2, but not in my normal browser
(FireFox 1). Yet another reason to encourage people to dump IE...

Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I see
on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

Dylan Parry

Mitja said:
Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

I recall reading an article that explained how Opera 7.2+ started to
emulate IE's CSS and JavaScript bugs so that bad authors don't keep
sending in bug reports like "IE gets it right, but..." It's one of the
reasons that I switched to Firefox from Opera :(

Al Jones

Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.
also works (closes the parent) on opera 8.0 (beta build 7401)

Mitja

also works (closes the parent) on opera 8.0 (beta build 7401)

*8.0*? I saw the beta download on their page earlier today, but only
looked at the filename, which really suggested version number 8. However,
on http://snapshot.opera.com, there's only been talk of 7.60. Just a
promotional trick, probably.

Mitja

I recall reading an article that explained how Opera 7.2+ started to
emulate IE's CSS and JavaScript bugs so that bad authors don't keep
sending in bug reports like "IE gets it right, but..." It's one of the
reasons that I switched to Firefox from Opera :(

Hm, I'd very much doubt it. It happens from time to time that I can't use
a site because of bad (=IE specific) JS code. I'm on linux, so it's no IE
for me (forget about wine, it's a 233 MHz box). However, as a backup, I've
got mozilla installed, and whenever Opera lets me down with JS, I use
Mozilla and I can't remember a single problem. (I still like Opera better,
though :))
So I'd say Mozilla's DOM is mimicking that of IE much more closely.
As for CSS, from what I hear (and see), Opera sticks to standards more
than anything else. It definitely doesn't intentionally reproduce MS bugs.