    That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

    Regards,
    Samuël
    Samuël van Laere, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Samuël van Laere

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
    > without affecting other browsers?

    One way that I recall is using <input type crash>, but apparently it has
    been fixed in SP2.

    > Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
    > That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

    Obviously, the above is *not* valid code, but any real parser should
    simply ignore the attributes that it does not understand.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE, without affecting
    >> other browsers?

    > One way that I recall is using <input type crash>, but apparently it
    > has been fixed in SP2.

    IIRC, just using <input type> is enough to make it crash.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Karl Core Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >> Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE, without affecting
    >>> other browsers?

    >> One way that I recall is using <input type crash>, but apparently it
    >> has been fixed in SP2.

    > IIRC, just using <input type> is enough to make it crash.

    That vulnerability was fixed, AFAIK

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    Karl Core, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Spartanicus Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote:

    >Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
    >without affecting other browsers?

    Why?

    >Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
    >That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

    If you don't like IE, don't use it. Don't start playing childish games.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Samuël van Laere

    Lee Marsh Guest

    This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
    detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
    window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
    would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

    --
    <=============>
    --Lee

    Goodbye, adios, bis bald, see ya later, weidersehen, and everything in
    between

    Lee Marsh, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Samuël van Laere

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Lee Marsh wrote:
    > This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
    > detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
    > window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
    > would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

    It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
    windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 2, 2005
  8. Samuël van Laere

    Dylan Parry Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
    > windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    Not entirely true. You *can* close a window that wasn't opened by
    JavaScript, but your browser (most anyway) will display an alert message
    saying something like "JavaScript is trying to close this window:
    Okay/Cancel" -- of course, this alone is going to piss a lot of folk off.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jan 2, 2005
  9. Samuël van Laere

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
    >> windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    > Not entirely true. You *can* close a window that wasn't opened by
    > JavaScript, but your browser (most anyway) will display an alert message
    > saying something like "JavaScript is trying to close this window:
    > Okay/Cancel" -- of course, this alone is going to piss a lot of folk off.

    Okay, true :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Samuël van Laere

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:17:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:

    > Lee Marsh wrote:
    >> This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript
    >> to detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could
    >> close the window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript
    >> guru. That would really piss off at least half of the internet's users
    >> though.
    >>

    > It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript. Only
    > windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    .....or so it is beleived.
    http://authors.aspalliance.com/peterbrunone/impossible.asp

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Samuël van Laere

    Oli Filth Guest

    Lee Marsh wrote:
    > This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a javascript to
    > detect what browser the client is using, and if it is IE you could close the
    > window? That sounds like it might work, but I'm no javascript guru. That
    > would really piss off at least half of the internet's users though.

    That would be cheating! I'm guessing the browser wants some code that
    /should/ act the same in all browsers, it's just that IE screws it up.

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Just wondering if there's a way to crash IE,
    > without affecting other browsers?
    > Offcourse it needs to be done with prefectly valid HTML.
    > That way I can blaim it on IE you see.

    Well you win the dumbest question award.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005
  13. Samuël van Laere

    Lee Marsh Guest

    I'm out of ideas then. Perhaps if you could somehow tell the IE how inferior
    it is to Mozilla, it would close itself in shame?

    --
    <=============>

    Lee Marsh, Jan 2, 2005
  14. Samuël van Laere

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Mitja wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:17:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Lee Marsh wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is just a shot in the dark but...maybe you could use a
    >>> javascript to detect what browser the client is using, and if it is
    >>> IE you could close the window? That sounds like it might work, but
    >>> I'm no javascript guru. That would really piss off at least half of
    >>> the internet's users though.
    >>>

    >> It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript.
    >> Only windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    > ....or so it is beleived.
    > http://authors.aspalliance.com/peterbrunone/impossible.asp

    Heh. He's right! Works in IE 6 SP2, but not in my normal browser
    (FireFox 1). Yet another reason to encourage people to dump IE...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 2, 2005
  15. Lee Marsh wrote:
    > I'm out of ideas then. Perhaps if you could somehow tell the IE how inferior
    > it is to Mozilla, it would close itself in shame?

    How about just making pages that are validating, IE will take care of
    the rest for you.

    But make sure you warn people that it is their browser that is screwing
    it up because most IE users will simply attribute the crappy page to
    your skills and just never come back to your page.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Jan 2, 2005
  16. Samuël van Laere

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:53:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:

    > Mitja wrote:
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:17:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It wont work. You cannot close user-opened windows in JavaScript.
    >>> Only windows OPENED by javascript can then be closed by Javascript.

    >> ....or so it is beleived.
    >> http://authors.aspalliance.com/peterbrunone/impossible.asp
    >>

    > Heh. He's right! Works in IE 6 SP2, but not in my normal browser
    > (FireFox 1). Yet another reason to encourage people to dump IE...

    Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I see
    on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Jan 2, 2005
  17. Samuël van Laere

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Mitja wrote:

    > Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
    > see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

    I recall reading an article that explained how Opera 7.2+ started to
    emulate IE's CSS and JavaScript bugs so that bad authors don't keep
    sending in bug reports like "IE gets it right, but..." It's one of the
    reasons that I switched to Firefox from Opera :(

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Jan 2, 2005
  18. Samuël van Laere

    Al Jones Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:16:56 +0100, Mitja <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:53:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mitja wrote:

    >>> ....or so it is beleived.
    >>> http://authors.aspalliance.com/peterbrunone/impossible.asp
    >>>

    >> Heh. He's right! Works in IE 6 SP2, but not in my normal browser
    >> (FireFox 1). Yet another reason to encourage people to dump IE...

    > Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
    > see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

    also works (closes the parent) on opera 8.0 (beta build 7401)

    Al Jones, Jan 2, 2005
  19. Samuël van Laere

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:06:06 -0600, Al Jones <>
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:16:56 +0100, Mitja <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:53:36 +0000, SpaceGirl
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Heh. He's right! Works in IE 6 SP2, but not in my normal browser
    >>> (FireFox 1). Yet another reason to encourage people to dump IE...

    >> Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
    >> see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.
    >>

    > also works (closes the parent) on opera 8.0 (beta build 7401)

    *8.0*? I saw the beta download on their page earlier today, but only
    looked at the filename, which really suggested version number 8. However,
    on http://snapshot.opera.com, there's only been talk of 7.60. Just a
    promotional trick, probably.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Jan 2, 2005
  20. Samuël van Laere

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 18:44:33 +0000, Dylan Parry <>
    wrote:

    > Mitja wrote:
    >
    >> Well, admittedly it does work in my Opera 7.54 too... and from what I
    >> see on that page, it's not such a lonely case.

    > I recall reading an article that explained how Opera 7.2+ started to
    > emulate IE's CSS and JavaScript bugs so that bad authors don't keep
    > sending in bug reports like "IE gets it right, but..." It's one of the
    > reasons that I switched to Firefox from Opera :(

    Hm, I'd very much doubt it. It happens from time to time that I can't use
    a site because of bad (=IE specific) JS code. I'm on linux, so it's no IE
    for me (forget about wine, it's a 233 MHz box). However, as a backup, I've
    got mozilla installed, and whenever Opera lets me down with JS, I use
    Mozilla and I can't remember a single problem. (I still like Opera better,
    though :))
    So I'd say Mozilla's DOM is mimicking that of IE much more closely.
    As for CSS, from what I hear (and see), Opera sticks to standards more
    than anything else. It definitely doesn't intentionally reproduce MS bugs.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Jan 2, 2005