Creating a distro of python... What would you include in it?

farksimmons

I am creating a distro of Python to be licensed as GPL.... am
wondering, what would anyone suggest as to 3rd party modules being put
into it (non-commercial of course!)? I know I'd put MySQLdb into it at
the very least. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fark Simmons
[insert clever tagline here /]

Simon Hibbs

I am creating a distro of Python to be licensed as GPL.... am
wondering, what would anyone suggest as to 3rd party modules being put
into it (non-commercial of course!)? I know I'd put MySQLdb into it at
the very least. Any suggestions?

What you put in it will depend on what it's for.

Which platforms will you support? Many Linux distros already provide
comprehensive package management systems, so developers on those would
probably be better off using the native package manager unless you're
offering something distinctive.

Does your distro target a particular developer community, such as web
developers, database developers or desktop developers? These
communities have very different requirements, but then again if you
target web developers do you include Turbo Gears, or Django or both?
Do you include an ORM and if so which one?

If you can clarify what you are trying to achieve, or what
defiiciencies in the existing distros that you're finding limiting
then that would realy help. Super-distros can definitely have a place.
In fact that's exactly what TurboGears is, but it has a very clear
mission statement and adds significant value of it's own. It also acts
as an add-on to the standard distro rather than an alternative and I
recommend you consider that strategy.

Simon Hibbs

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BJ=F6rn_Lindqvist?=

I am creating a distro of Python to be licensed as GPL.... am
wondering, what would anyone suggest as to 3rd party modules being put
into it (non-commercial of course!)? I know I'd put MySQLdb into it at
the very least. Any suggestions?

If your distro is to be GPL-licensed, does that mean that you want
your components to be GPL too? If so, the number of components you can
select is reduced drastically.

I'd like a distro with a good IDE, GUI toolkit (PyGTK for example),
Django and PyGame. Something you could point a newbie to and they
would be able to create "real" applications with, without needing to
download hundreds of dependencies.

Shane Geiger

This is for Windows only, but since your target audience is newbies,
that might be fine.

Python Sumo-Distribution for Windows - Freely downloadable Python
distributions for Windows with many extra packages already installed and
ready for use.
-- http://code.enthought.com/enthon/

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy

yuce

re: BJörn, I think selecting a GPL license will increase the number of
usable packages, since using Python license with GPL is perfectly fine
as long as the whole software is licensed under GPL [I am not really
sure it is a must to license the whole package under GPL]

re: farksimm; I'd put (in nor particular order)

- Python Imaging Library : http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

- wxPython : http://www.wxpython.org/

- ipython : http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

- pycrypto : http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto

- sqlalchemy : http://www.sqlalchemy.org/

- psycopg : http://www.initd.org/tracker/psycopg

- docutils : http://docutils.sourceforge.net/

- NumPy/Numeric : http://numpy.scipy.org/

- if it's for Win32 also pywin32 : http://www.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/

Yuce

SPE - Stani's Python Editor

re: BJörn, I think selecting a GPL license will increase the number of
usable packages, since using Python license with GPL is perfectly fine
as long as the whole software is licensed under GPL [I am not really
sure it is a must to license the whole package under GPL]

re: farksimm; I'd put (in nor particular order)

- Python Imaging Library :http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

-wxPython:http://www.wxpython.org/

- ipython :http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

- pycrypto :http://www.amk.ca/python/code/crypto