    issues can crop up when a server hosts more than one web service.

    Thanks,
    Fred Herring

    Fred Herring, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Fred Herring

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Fred,

    Does the server have Front Page extensions installed? Is this server your
    dev machine? What steps are you taking to create the second service?

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZCBIZXJyaW5n?= <>
    >Subject: Creating New Web Service
    >Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:49:08 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    >I currently run a web service on my Windows 2003 Server. I want to create

    >second service but I have problems when I try to create
    >(http:\\localhost\webservice2 )it in VB.net 2003. I get an error about

    some

    Dan Rogers, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Fred Herring

    Fred Herring Guest

    Thanks for getting back with me, Dan. I am just starting visual studio 2003
    and selecting an asp web service as the project type. It then comes up with
    text fields that points to http:\\localhost\webservice1. I change the
    webservice name to something else and hit enter and then get the error about
    not being able to ceate it because of sharing difficulties.

    Fred Herring

    Fred Herring, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Fred Herring

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Fred,

    If the name you select already exists, you will get error messages like
    this. Try a brand new name that couldn't possibly have been chosen before.
    Does it still happen?

    If it does, try repairing your IIS instalation. File sharing issues
    shouldn't be happening unless there are two programs accessing the same
    directory or file, and one has it open with a lock.

    Dan

    --------------------

    Dan Rogers, Dec 16, 2004
  5. Fred Herring

    Fred Herring Guest

    No, I am careful to give a fresh name for the new service when I try to
    create it. I will try resetting iis. My dev. machine is windows server
    2003. I currently host my web service and a web page on this server. The
    web page shares some folders for files needed by the web page. This is my
    system status when I start vb.net and try to create a new web service
    application. This is when I get an error message about sharing.

    Fred Herring

    Fred Herring, Dec 16, 2004
  6. Fred Herring

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Fred,

    Since web services don't return web pages, I suggest you try separating
    these into two VROOT's. This way the conflict in the way the applications
    get configured for a web service and a web application won't be causing you
    issues.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZCBIZXJyaW5n?= <>

    <>
    <$z$>

    Dan Rogers, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Fred Herring

    Fred Herring Guest

    Thanks, currently I have a wwwroot which hold my existing web service. When
    vb.net runs a web service project it comes up with \\localhost\Webservice2.
    I am confused about how startup a new project and affect the kind of
    seperation you described.

    Fred

    Fred Herring, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Fred Herring

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Fred,

    When you create a new Web or Web serivce project with Visual Studio, it
    creates an new virtual root directory on the default site in your local IIS
    (your wwwroot). The separation I was referring to was to create one
    project for your web service, and a different project for your web site
    application (the one that has browser pages). You seemed to be trying to
    keep all of the HTML, ASP and web service code in one place - which could
    cause issues if you aren't really familiar with IIS application
    configuration. The easiest thing to do is first set up your web service
    project and get it working.

    Then in your web application project, create a web reference to the web
    service itself, making sure you have a configuration settable URL property
    so that you can move off of your development box at some point (although a
    proxy bouncing off of localhost would work as long as you always hosted the
    web applicatoin and the web service on the same machine).

    Hope this helps

    Dan

    Dan Rogers, Dec 21, 2004