Creating New Web Service

Fred Herring

I currently run a web service on my Windows 2003 Server. I want to create a
second service but I have problems when I try to create
(http:\\localhost\webservice2 )it in VB.net 2003. I get an error about some
sharing violation and frontpage extensions. So I am curious about what
issues can crop up when a server hosts more than one web service.

Thanks,
Fred Herring

Dan Rogers

Hi Fred,

Does the server have Front Page extensions installed? Is this server your
dev machine? What steps are you taking to create the second service?

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

Fred Herring

Thanks for getting back with me, Dan. I am just starting visual studio 2003
and selecting an asp web service as the project type. It then comes up with
text fields that points to http:\\localhost\webservice1. I change the
webservice name to something else and hit enter and then get the error about
not being able to ceate it because of sharing difficulties.

Fred Herring

Dan Rogers

Hi Fred,

If the name you select already exists, you will get error messages like
this. Try a brand new name that couldn't possibly have been chosen before.
Does it still happen?

If it does, try repairing your IIS instalation. File sharing issues
shouldn't be happening unless there are two programs accessing the same
directory or file, and one has it open with a lock.

Dan

--------------------

Fred Herring

No, I am careful to give a fresh name for the new service when I try to
create it. I will try resetting iis. My dev. machine is windows server
2003. I currently host my web service and a web page on this server. The
web page shares some folders for files needed by the web page. This is my
system status when I start vb.net and try to create a new web service
application. This is when I get an error message about sharing.

Fred Herring

Dan Rogers

Hi Fred,

Since web services don't return web pages, I suggest you try separating
these into two VROOT's. This way the conflict in the way the applications
get configured for a web service and a web application won't be causing you
issues.

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------

Fred Herring

Thanks, currently I have a wwwroot which hold my existing web service. When
vb.net runs a web service project it comes up with \\localhost\Webservice2.
I am confused about how startup a new project and affect the kind of
seperation you described.

Fred

Dan Rogers

Hi Fred,

When you create a new Web or Web serivce project with Visual Studio, it
creates an new virtual root directory on the default site in your local IIS
(your wwwroot). The separation I was referring to was to create one
project for your web service, and a different project for your web site
application (the one that has browser pages). You seemed to be trying to
keep all of the HTML, ASP and web service code in one place - which could
cause issues if you aren't really familiar with IIS application
configuration. The easiest thing to do is first set up your web service
project and get it working.

Then in your web application project, create a web reference to the web
service itself, making sure you have a configuration settable URL property
so that you can move off of your development box at some point (although a
proxy bouncing off of localhost would work as long as you always hosted the
web applicatoin and the web service on the same machine).

Hope this helps

Dan
From: =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZCBIZXJyaW5n?= <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>