Critique Beta Site ~ Kravemore

Toby A Inkster

kravemore said:

Taken from the above site:

| How old is Grandpa???
| I was born before:
| penicillin
| This man would be only 59 years old

A 59 year old would have been born in 1947 or 1948. Penicillin's discovery
is normally attributed to Sir Alexander Fleming, who first noticed it in
1929, although there is evidence that it has been used traditionally in
some parts of the world for thousands of years. It was used to great effect
in WWII to treat wounded Allied troops.

Also, FWIW:

| frozen foods

Clarence Birdseye (yes, really) patented his techniques for flash-freezing
food in the early 1920s and frozen food came onto the American market in
1930.

Perhaps Grandpa is gaga and can't remember his real age?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
Taken from the above site:

| How old is Grandpa???
| I was born before:
| penicillin
| This man would be only 59 years old

A 59 year old would have been born in 1947 or 1948. Penicillin's discovery
is normally attributed to Sir Alexander Fleming, who first noticed it in
1929, although there is evidence that it has been used traditionally in
some parts of the world for thousands of years. It was used to great effect
in WWII to treat wounded Allied troops.

But it was not useful till the Australian scientist Florey did
his work (purifying it etc) and it was able to be produced in
large quantities. That was not till after about 1939, I think
into the middle of the war. So perhaps Grandpa was only about 68.

Blinky the Shark

Toby said:
Taken from the above site:

| How old is Grandpa???
| I was born before:
| penicillin
| This man would be only 59 years old

A 59 year old would have been born in 1947 or 1948. Penicillin's discovery

Hey, that's me. :)

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
But it was not useful till the Australian scientist Florey did his
work (purifying it etc) and it was able to be produced in large
quantities. That was not till after about 1939, I think into the
middle of the war. So perhaps Grandpa was only about 68.

Yeah, I think at least for the first part of WWII they were still pretty
much just throwing sulfa powder on your wounds.