Critique food site please

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nik Coughlin, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 2, 2006

  2. Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages
    > with no real content.
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    Nice work, Nik. The only comments I have after a cursory glance would
    be:

    1. drop Verdana (for all the oft-stated reasons). Try "Trebuchet MS".
    I use this:
    font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

    2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    David Segall Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    >moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    >real content.
    >
    >http://nrkn.com/fm/
    >http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
    >
    >Thanks!

    I find that the (bottom right) pale green background colour
    disturbing. It seems to clash with the other colours. I have no
    rational basis for this feeling and I would be curious (and relieved)
    if someone could provide one. In any case, I think fewer colours would
    enhance the page.
    David Segall, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    > real content.

    Looks nice with FF1.5

    Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
    pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
    which graphic, which caused some distraction

    Nik
    Nik, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Stan McCann Guest

    Nik <> wrote in

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at
    >> the moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of
    >> pages with no real content.
    >>

    > Looks nice with FF1.5
    >
    > Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
    > pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
    > which graphic, which caused some distraction
    >
    > Nik

    I also looked at it with just FF1.5. I'm not sure what banner graphic
    you are referring to. I only see one and it is the same centered
    across the top on each page.

    Nice and clean. I only tried one page but that one page validated.
    One suggestion: make logo.png a link to the initial "home" page; I
    could find no way back to that initial page without changing the URL.

    Other than that, in the few minutes I looked at it, I'd have to give it
    an A. Nice work.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/
    Stan McCann, Mar 2, 2006
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    <snip>

    > 2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

    I agree with BTS, but I see your intent to align with dark blue logo in
    upper left. But 266px of leftColumn can take up a lot of real estate on
    smaller view ports. If you float leftColumn to the left and add a white
    border on right and bottom sides mainColumn can flow underneath and
    leftColumn can be a knockout. It will still have the vertical visual
    line with the logo above but prevent mainColumn from being a narrow
    ribbon with a long scroll when there is substantial content in mainColumn.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 2, 2006
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Thomas Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    >>Is the banner graphic (top-right) supposed to be different on some
    >>pages? There appeared to be little rationale behind which page had
    >>which graphic, which caused some distraction

    > I also looked at it with just FF1.5. I'm not sure what banner graphic
    > you are referring to. I only see one and it is the same centered
    > across the top on each page.

    text "generosity warmth" etc, there are other graphics on other pages.

    Revisiting, I see more different images than I had noticed before - so
    less confused than I was.

    Nik
    Nik Thomas, Mar 2, 2006
  8. On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:57:12 +1300, in alt.html.critique , "Nik
    Coughlin" <> in <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    >moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    >real content.
    >
    >http://nrkn.com/fm/
    >http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
    >
    >Thanks!

    As others I generally like it, nice clean, good food related colors.
    Small issues. First, the leftmost menu item should be the home page.
    Second, if you have the room there is no reason for the "generosity
    .... " to overlap the image. Third, the directory should have a menu of
    some sort. Finally and weakest, I might experiment by putting a touch
    of deeper, more primary colors. Food has a range of colors and if you
    can get a bit of apple red and pepper green it would be great. I
    suspect you can't do that and keep the clean look and the clean look
    is more important, but the attempt might produce value.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    Matt Silberstein, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Nik Coughlin

    mbstevens Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    > real content.
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css
    >
    > Thanks!

    Nice, clean and valid.
    Push the text over the green
    further toward black. Not enough contrast.
    mbstevens, Mar 2, 2006
  10. Nik Coughlin

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <N7DNf.488572$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    > > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages
    > > with no real content.
    > >
    > > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    > Nice work, Nik. The only comments I have after a cursory glance would
    > be:
    >
    > 1. drop Verdana (for all the oft-stated reasons). Try "Trebuchet MS".
    > I use this:
    > font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
    >
    > 2. the blue buttons are just a bit large.

    I think the reason they are that big in width at least is for
    symmetry in the design, they cannot without loss of design, be
    reduced. Perhaps the height of the buttons could be, maybe bigger
    graphic under to compensate?

    The OP's http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css should be
    http://nrkn.com/fm/css/fm.css

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 2, 2006
  11. In article <>, "Nik Coughlin" <>
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    > real content.

    Bravo as always. I do find the white text on yellow background at the
    top difficult to read.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Mar 3, 2006
  12. Nik Coughlin

    kchayka Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:57:12 +1300, in alt.html.critique , "Nik
    > Coughlin" <> in <> wrote:
    >>
    >>http://nrkn.com/fm/
    >>

    > good food related colors.

    It's funny that my first reaction was to the colors, but pretty much in
    the opposite direction - that yellow-green in the right columns is vile
    to me (reminds me of baby excrement), and there are very few foods that
    are blue.

    The combination of navy blue, medium blue, orange and that yellow-green
    don't remind me of food at all.

    > Food has a range of colors and if you
    > can get a bit of apple red and pepper green it would be great.

    Sounds quite Christmas-y to me. ho ho ho :)

    I'd go with a celery green instead, especially if the intent is light
    and fresh.

    kchayka, Mar 4, 2006
  13. Nik Coughlin ha scritto:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    > real content.
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    Haiii! Haiiiiiii!!! Chottooooo!!! >_<

    I do not really know the target level of the company and your level in
    web production but:

    - General visual guidelines are very far, close to Mars, clean but very
    amateurish IMHO.
    - Brand Logo on Venus as well, logo restyling is required IMHO
    - Colors are quite good and quite bad at the same time, there are too
    much colour and no really good connection between them. MULTI-IMHO
    - I didn't any w3c check but ppls around said ok, so code is valid at
    least :) It's a good start ;D W3C-IMHO

    It's a very good work for amateur, acceptable-looking for novice
    professional design, bad for skilled professional, "impossible to say"
    for highly skilled award winning professional , make your choice :)

    Shake your mind and peace \/, man. Gambatte kudasai ne ^.~

    --
    Minnasan, sayonara yo,
    Nicolò Nyo Armato

    www.nyosources.com
    One-million parsec beyond the brain evolution, being a perfect guy,
    learning everything and taking human lifestyle to the limit.
    Nicolo Nyo Armato, Mar 4, 2006
  14. Nik Coughlin

    Jose Guest

    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with no
    > real content.
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    The left (navigation) pane, being of fixed size, is a problem for narrow
    windows. Let it shrink with the window, so that the content pane (on
    the right) can have more of the space. The issue may be the four
    peppers, which are pretty but superfluous (so should move out of the way
    when there isn't really room for them). Perhaps putting them at the top
    of the left navigation pane, and set up so that if the window is narrow
    enough, the content pane would also slide down, leaving the peppers on
    top of both panes.

    I generally don't like navigation panes on the sides, because the
    introduce =so= much wasted space below them.

    Jose
    Jose, Mar 4, 2006
  15. In article <44091956$0$29725$>,
    Nicolo Nyo Armato <0m> wrote:

    > It's a very good work for amateur, acceptable-looking for novice
    > professional design, bad for skilled professional, "impossible to say"
    > for highly skilled award winning professional , make your choice :)

    Egad!

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Mar 4, 2006
  16. Leonard Blaisdell ha scritto:
    > In article <44091956$0$29725$>,
    > Nicolo Nyo Armato <0m> wrote:
    >
    >> It's a very good work for amateur, acceptable-looking for novice
    >> professional design, bad for skilled professional, "impossible to say"
    >> for highly skilled award winning professional , make your choice :)

    > Egad!
    >
    > leo

    Dallas ne?

    Nicolo Nyo Armato, Mar 4, 2006
  17. Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at the
    > moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of pages with
    > no real content.
    >
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/
    > http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    [sound of Teletype machines chattering in the background] Other reports
    are pouring in from the corners of the globe![1] I'll add one quick
    observation. When the logo area, top-left of the viewport is clicked, the
    resulting page that's not styled like the others is pretty jarring. It's
    nice and clean and very readable, but looks like an afterthought or
    something someone forgot to style.

    [1]I don't know about you, but I never saw a globe with corners.[2]

    [2]I predict someone will post a link for an image of a square world globe
    here:

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 4, 2006
  18. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at
    >> the moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of
    >> pages with no real content.
    >>
    >> http://nrkn.com/fm/
    >> http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    > [sound of Teletype machines chattering in the background] Other
    > reports are pouring in from the corners of the globe![1] I'll add
    > one quick observation. When the logo area, top-left of the viewport
    > is clicked, the resulting page that's not styled like the others is
    > pretty jarring. It's nice and clean and very readable, but looks
    > like an afterthought or something someone forgot to style.

    Ah, that's the old version of the site you see :)
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 4, 2006
  19. Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I would really like a critique of the site that I am working on at
    >>> the moment. It is nearly done, though you may find a couple of
    >>> pages with no real content.
    >>>
    >>> http://nrkn.com/fm/
    >>> http://nrkn.com/fm/fm.css

    >> [sound of Teletype machines chattering in the background] Other
    >> reports are pouring in from the corners of the globe![1] I'll add
    >> one quick observation. When the logo area, top-left of the viewport
    >> is clicked, the resulting page that's not styled like the others is
    >> pretty jarring. It's nice and clean and very readable, but looks
    >> like an afterthought or something someone forgot to style.
    >>

    > Ah, that's the old version of the site you see :)

    Well, it was the version I got to when I clicked the URL you posted.
    Sorry -- my crystal ball is in the shop for lube and oil. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 5, 2006
  20. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> [sound of Teletype machines chattering in the background] Other
    >>> reports are pouring in from the corners of the globe![1] I'll add
    >>> one quick observation. When the logo area, top-left of the viewport
    >>> is clicked, the resulting page that's not styled like the others is
    >>> pretty jarring. It's nice and clean and very readable, but looks
    >>> like an afterthought or something someone forgot to style.
    >>>

    >> Ah, that's the old version of the site you see :)

    > Well, it was the version I got to when I clicked the URL you posted.
    > Sorry -- my crystal ball is in the shop for lube and oil. :)

    Ach, what I mean is, the url that the logo in the top left links to is the
    url for the old version of the site, which is what you see when you click
    it.
    Nik Coughlin, Mar 5, 2006