critique request

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Cynthia Turcotte, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Hi all --

    A client has hired me to, among other things, optimize her web site
    for search engine submission. So being the dutiful SEO geek that I
    am, I went through and optimized each and every page of the site,
    including a complete recoding of the homepage which she botched.

    Now after all of this work, she tells me that she wants to keep the
    home page as it is. I've gone on record telling her that I feel that
    she won't get the results she is expecting if she keeps the page as
    is, to no avail.

    So I am seeking outside opinions. The site is geared toward women so
    I would like to get as many female opinions as possible -- but men are
    welcome to respond too.

    Please note that I am NOT asking for a critique of the core layout.

    All I want to know is which page is a. better optimized and b. more
    visually appealing.

    http://www.b-tone.com
    http://www.b-tone.com/indexa.html
    http://www.b-tone.com/indexb.html

    Please reply either here or via email at

    Thanks!

    Cynthia Turcotte
    Cynthia Turcotte, Sep 12, 2003

  2. Cynthia Turcotte

    PeterL Guest

    Cynthia Turcotte wrote:
    > Hi all --
    >
    > A client has hired me to, among other things, optimize her web site
    > for search engine submission. So being the dutiful SEO geek that I
    > am, I went through and optimized each and every page of the site,
    > including a complete recoding of the homepage which she botched.
    >
    > Now after all of this work, she tells me that she wants to keep the
    > home page as it is. I've gone on record telling her that I feel that
    > she won't get the results she is expecting if she keeps the page as
    > is, to no avail.
    >
    > So I am seeking outside opinions. The site is geared toward women so
    > I would like to get as many female opinions as possible -- but men are
    > welcome to respond too.
    >
    > Please note that I am NOT asking for a critique of the core layout.
    >
    > All I want to know is which page is a. better optimized and b. more
    > visually appealing.
    >
    > http://www.b-tone.com
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexa.html
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexb.html
    >
    > Please reply either here or via email at
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Cynthia Turcotte

    Both are ok except I find it difficult reading white text on a light blue
    background.

    By the way expect trouble with the "Right click disabled" feature!!! It is
    not appreciated in this .. and other ... NGs!

    PeterL

    Petes Page
    http://leach01.co.uk

    Jordanstown Schools website
    http://jord.org.uk
    PeterL, Sep 12, 2003

  3. >
    >Both are ok except I find it difficult reading white text on a light blue
    >background.
    >
    >By the way expect trouble with the "Right click disabled" feature!!! It is
    >not appreciated in this .. and other ... NGs!
    >

    >PeterL
    >
    >Petes Page
    >http://leach01.co.uk
    >
    >Jordanstown Schools website
    >http://jord.org.uk

    I had no control over the no right click. I recommended against it.

    Of the 3, if you had to pick *one*, which is better?

    Cheers,

    Cynthia
    Cynthia Turcotte, Sep 12, 2003
  4. Cynthia Turcotte

    rf Guest

    "Cynthia Turcotte" <> wrote in message

    > >Both are ok except I find it difficult reading white text on a light blue
    > >background.
    > >
    > >By the way expect trouble with the "Right click disabled" feature!!! It

    is
    > >not appreciated in this .. and other ... NGs!
    > >

    > >PeterL
    > >========================================
    > >
    > >Petes Page
    > >http://leach01.co.uk
    > >
    > >Jordanstown Schools website
    > >http://jord.org.uk
    > >

    > I had no control over the no right click. I recommended against it.

    Then tell your client these three things:

    No right click does NOT prevent somebody from stealing the source. There are
    so many ways around it that it has become a game in the newsgroups to find
    the easiest/quickest one. Yours seems to be effective, it even disables my
    context menu button so you must be disabling that and not just a right
    click. The workaround in your case is to simply drop down view>source :)

    Lets say 25% of the people out there use the context menu to bookmark a
    site. Yours prohibits this. Does your client really wish to prevent 25% of
    her potential customers from revisiting her site? That is, does she wish to
    throw away 25% of her customers?

    No right click screams AMATEUR to anybody who knows anything about web
    design.

    > Of the 3, if you had to pick *one*, which is better?

    None of them. All have flaws. All of them have hard coded pixel sizes so
    users of the most common browser can not resize the text to their favourite
    size without exercising their accessibility options. You are discriminating
    against the partially sighted.

    All of them are a fixed width, obvously designed for your clients 800x600
    monitor. In the real world you should design for any width.

    Sorry to be harsh but that is my first opinion :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 12, 2003
  5. "Cynthia Turcotte" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all --

    <snipola>
    > Please note that I am NOT asking for a critique of the core layout.
    >
    > All I want to know is which page is a. better optimized and b. more
    > visually appealing.
    >
    > http://www.b-tone.com
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexa.html
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexb.html

    To me, none of them look any different - for the amount of time I spent
    there, that is (which I'm guessing will be the average amount of time any
    man spends there). They all look nice enough and certainly have that QVC
    feel to them that your client is obviously wanting, but the following let
    the site down big-time:

    1. No doctype.
    2. No encoding declaration.
    3. No compliance to any kind of web standards whatsoever.
    4. Between 166 and 426 errors, depending on what version of HTML/XHTML you
    are actually trying to write.
    5. Unnecessary and rude Javascript usage.
    6. Horrible mail-sending script that tries to use the viewer's own email
    client. Ick.
    7. Bloated code that does nothing worthwhile other than make the page take
    an age to download.
    8. Too much talk of breasts and not enough pictures (disclaimer: male bias
    could be a factor in this point).

    It's more than possible to get your site to look how you want, but with code
    that validates and less-to-no scripting. Hell, even 4 or 5 errors isn't
    that bad...

    --
    Andrew Cameron
    "Got my hand on my heart, I know no better location..."
    Andrew Cameron, Sep 12, 2003
  6. Cynthia Turcotte

    Els Guest

    Cynthia Turcotte wrote:

    > Hi all --
    >
    > A client has hired me to, among other things, optimize her web site
    > for search engine submission. So being the dutiful SEO geek that I
    > am, I went through and optimized each and every page of the site,
    > including a complete recoding of the homepage which she botched.
    >
    > Now after all of this work, she tells me that she wants to keep the
    > home page as it is. I've gone on record telling her that I feel that
    > she won't get the results she is expecting if she keeps the page as
    > is, to no avail.
    >
    > So I am seeking outside opinions. The site is geared toward women so
    > I would like to get as many female opinions as possible -- but men are
    > welcome to respond too.
    >
    > Please note that I am NOT asking for a critique of the core layout.
    >
    > All I want to know is which page is a. better optimized and b. more
    > visually appealing.
    >
    > http://www.b-tone.com
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexa.html
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexb.html
    >
    > Please reply either here or via email at

    As for visually appealing: I prefer the a/b version
    (couldn't find the difference between a and b :-/).

    --
    Els

    Mente humana é como pára-quedas; funciona melhor aberta.
    Els, Sep 12, 2003
  7. Cynthia Turcotte

    Denise Enck Guest

    > Hi all --
    >
    > A client has hired me to, among other things, optimize her web site
    > for search engine submission. So being the dutiful SEO geek that I
    > am, I went through and optimized each and every page of the site,
    > including a complete recoding of the homepage which she botched.
    >
    > Now after all of this work, she tells me that she wants to keep the
    > home page as it is. I've gone on record telling her that I feel that
    > she won't get the results she is expecting if she keeps the page as
    > is, to no avail.
    >
    > So I am seeking outside opinions. The site is geared toward women so
    > I would like to get as many female opinions as possible -- but men are
    > welcome to respond too.
    >
    > Please note that I am NOT asking for a critique of the core layout.
    >
    > All I want to know is which page is a. better optimized and b. more
    > visually appealing.
    >
    > http://www.b-tone.com
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexa.html
    > http://www.b-tone.com/indexb.html
    >
    > Please reply either here or via email at
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Cynthia Turcotte

    What changes did you make to optimize the page? Optimization usually
    involves the site's text (among other things), but I see no difference
    between the pages in that regard.

    The site is okay - someone else mentioned it was QVC-like - I'd agree. The
    text seems kinda cheesy & promotional. I don't like to be "sold to" - just
    give me the facts without all the exclamation points & hype. It wouldn't
    persuade me to make a purchase - I'd be swayed by something more of a
    professional tone.

    All the purple is overkill - how about losing the varying shades of purple
    text, keeping black for the text, with perhaps some color in the headings?
    Introduction of a third color would be a good design decision. Keep the
    design clean.

    cheers ~
    Denise
    Denise Enck, Sep 12, 2003
  8. indexa or indexb are the best - can't see a difference between the two.

    The right click feature is annoying and totally usless - it took me less
    than 5 seconds to zoom to the top menu and press view/source. Did you write
    the scroller ? if so it's quite nice, if not why are you attempting to stop
    others from seeing code you've taken from elsewhere .......... I realy
    dislike this stupid feature!!

    Other things:

    You're making use of tables alot - divs are better and quicker (although to
    be fair I've still got loads of tables on my site ......... yeah yeah yeah,
    pot, kettle black ........ I know)

    Also I don't like the fixed width text, short sighted people can't resize
    it.

    Chris
    Chris Leonard, Sep 13, 2003