Custom References

Jason MacKenzie

I'm not sure if this is the right newsgroup but an expert can probably help
me here.

All our web applications have the same set of references. So I'd like to
have them be referenced by default.

I'm trying to change the the WebApplication.vbproj file to include these
references but I'm not having much luck. These assemblies are not in the
GAC - we reference them from another server via a UNC path (which may be
part of the problem).

<Reference Name = "System" />
<Reference Name = "System.Data" />
<Reference Name = "System.Drawing" />
<Reference Name = "System.Web" />
<Reference Name = "System.XML" />
<Reference Name = "InformetBaseClass" Identity = "InformetBaseClass"
Version = "1.0.0.0" Path =
"\\devtst03\c$\.NetObjects\InformetBaseClass\bin\InformetBaseClass.dll" />
</References>

Any help with this is appreciated,

Jason MacKenzie

Scott Allen

Jason:

Using a shared drive has all sorts of obstacles to overcome. For one,
the process running ASP.NET will not have permissions to the shared
drive. Even if you finagle ASP.NET to have access to the drive (and
this looks like an administrator share, which would mean giving
asp.net admin access on the remote machine), assemblies loaded over
the network will run under partial-trust. That is they can't do
everything a local assembly does unless you configure additional
security settings.

The list of obstacles could keep going, but really the best advice is
to copy them locally and use them from the /bin directory. In the long
wrong it will mean fewer configuration, deployment, and versioning
headaches.