database navigator for derby

Mr. X.

Hello,

Does Derby db has good & free db navigator ?
(Simmiliar to TOAD, but I didn't find it for Derby).

Thanks :)

David Segall

Mr. X. said:
Hello,

Does Derby db has good & free db navigator ?
(Simmiliar to TOAD, but I didn't find it for Derby).
IBM provide Data Studio
<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/products/datastudio/> but it
can only be used with DB2 and Derby. My favourite is Thomas Kellerer's
SQL Workbench <http://www.sql-workbench.net/index.html>. You may also
want to consider OpenOffice Base
<http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html> that does not provide
all the DBA functions of the other two but has some time-saving update
and reporting tools.

Mr. X.

I am not familiar with the open-office base.
Is that db is popular (and freeware) ?
I would like getting some more information on that db, please.

Thanks :)

RedGrittyBrick

Mr. X. said:
Hello,

Does Derby db has good & free db navigator ?
(Simmiliar to TOAD, but I didn't find it for Derby).

Thanks :)

I'm not familiar with TOAD but suspect Squirrel may be what you want. I
use it with Derby.

"SQuirreL SQL Client is a graphical SQL client written in Java that will
allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database, browse the
data in tables, issue SQL commands etc."

http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/

Jeff Higgins

Mr. X. said:
I am not familiar with the open-office base.
Is that db is popular (and freeware) ?
I would like getting some more information on that db, please.
pugh!

David Segall

Mr. X. said:
I am not familiar with the open-office base.
Is that db is popular (and freeware) ?
I would like getting some more information on that db, please.
The freeware OpenOffice Base
<http://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html> is modeled on, and very
similar to, Microsoft Access
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access>. It comes with a default
database, HSQL <http://hsqldb.org/> just as Access comes with the
default Access database. However, OpenOffice Base can be used with any
database that has a JDBC driver just as Microsoft Access can be used
with any database that has an ODBC driver. In other words, OpenOffice
Base is not really a database although it includes one. You can use
OpenOffice Base as a database front end in a manner similar to TOAD
but it is oriented towards a user who wants to provide data entry and
reporting rather than database administration.

Actually, since Sun provide a JDBC to ODBC driver, OpenOffice Base can
be used with any database that has an ODBC driver and I use it to
connect to a Microsoft Access database.

Just to confuse you, there is an ODBC driver for Derby so you could
use Microsoft Access as a front end to a Derby database! There are
some problems with the Derby (a.k.a. Cloudscape) ODBC driver that I
have documented at <http://www.profectus.com.au/ee_cloudscape.html>.

Mr. X.

Well.
I have installed derby plug-in, and the squirrel-sql for navigating.
I looked at those installations, tested them, understand them, and they
seems fine to me.
(Maybe I need to test some more DBs, but it may take time for testing many
....)

I just want to make decisions for using one kind of database that's is
freeware.

I got confused.
David said Derby has problems and is not supported
(Also at link : http://www.profectus.com.au/ee_freedbms.html)
and MySql for some versions is not realy freeware
(It is not quite simple to read every license agreement,
when I see the download to be freeware, and in little words it is not ...
if the license declare it is freeware - so it should be one. Isn't that so ?
Maybe I'll hire a lawer).

Also for first time making db with about 150 tables,
for commercial use in about a year.

I need to decide what's best, with no obligation to the software for the
neer future
(and open office is freeware, with some reports tools, which I need.
I don't want also to write to specific platform,
so I need that the db should work on any kind of platform with some
adjustments - OS, Windows, Linux, etc ...)

Thanks :)

Lew

Mr. X. said:
I just want to make decisions for using one kind of database that's is
freeware.

David said Derby has problems and is not supported
(Also at link : http://www.profectus.com.au/ee_freedbms.html)
and MySql for some versions is not realy freeware

Actually, although I don't favor MySQL for technical reasons, it truly is
freeware if you use it in conformance with its GPL license. The version
doesn't seem to influence that, only whether you link to their product for
commercial gain.

PostgreSQL, <http://www.postgresql.org/>, is robust, highly scalable, largely
SQL-conformant and has useful extensions. It's especially suitable for those
who swim happily in the world of SQL, with all its views and subqueries and
what-not. It uses the BSD open-source license which is much less restrictive
than GPL for those who wish to (ab)use PG for gain.
<http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence>

MySQL is the /de facto/ standard for web sites, particularly as the "M" in the
widely-adopted "LAMP" (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) architecture. From what I've
read, that model has limits to its scalability. Personally I prefer the more
"enterprisey" approach of heavily-architected strong systems, which favor the
use of Java and PostgreSQL, while still relying on the "L" and "A" components,
adding Tomcat, JSF - MyFaces or the Sun Reference Implementation (RI),
Glassfish or Geronimo or JBoss, maybe a dash of Spring, plus Hibernate or
Apache OpenJPA for the data-access layer.

The choice of architecture is a wholistic one - consider more than just the
database but how to tune all the components. Hardware is relevant. Does your
application justify, or rather, require RAID arrays with battery backed-up
(BBU) caching controllers? Do you make a service guarantee?

That said, I'd still use Postgres over MySQL even for more lightweight use,
since it isn't really complex to manage except as your operational needs make
it so anyway. Thus I favor a LAPJ architecture for web sites, prototypes,
more without bounds.

FWIW, I tried SQuirreL on the recommendations upthread - it works great with
Postgres. I had to tell SQuirreL of the JDBC JAR, which I had previously
downloaded from <http://jdbc.postgresql.org/> to upgrade the default Linux
version. That configuration took about five minutes, the very first five
minutes I had ever used SQuirreL, and it was painless and obvious. Their
splash screen is pretty, too.

<http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/>

Arne Vajhøj

Mr. X. said:
David said Derby has problems and is not supported

No surprise in that. Support 8x5 or 24x7 always cost money.

You can buy a commercial product or find someone that are
willing to support Derby if that is a problem.

Neither SUN nor IBM want to provide free support.
and MySql for some versions is not realy freeware

It is open source.

It is free for anyone that can accept the GPL license
with FLOSS exception MySQL use.

The very short version is:

you do not distribute your code outside your own company => no
problem

your code is open source => no problem

else => you need to consult with lawyers whether you need to
buy a commercial license or not

If you buy then you get support as well. And that support
may be worth all the money if it is production.
Also for first time making db with about 150 tables,
for commercial use in about a year.

GPL and all other open source does not really distinguish between
commercial and non-commercial. The distinctions goes between open
source and closed source and distributing to external entities or not.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
Actually, although I don't favor MySQL for technical reasons, it truly
is freeware if you use it in conformance with its GPL license. The
version doesn't seem to influence that, only whether you link to their
product for commercial gain.

Bullet #6 in the open source definition prohibits open source from
only allowing non-commercial usage.
PostgreSQL, <http://www.postgresql.org/>, is robust, highly scalable,
largely SQL-conformant and has useful extensions. It's especially
suitable for those who swim happily in the world of SQL, with all its
views and subqueries and what-not.

The SQL support in newer versions of MySQL is actually OK.
MySQL is the /de facto/ standard for web sites, particularly as the "M"
in the widely-adopted "LAMP" (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) architecture.
From what I've read, that model has limits to its scalability.
Personally I prefer the more "enterprisey" approach of
heavily-architected strong systems, which favor the use of Java and
PostgreSQL, while still relying on the "L" and "A" components, adding
Tomcat, JSF - MyFaces or the Sun Reference Implementation (RI),
Glassfish or Geronimo or JBoss, maybe a dash of Spring, plus Hibernate
or Apache OpenJPA for the data-access layer.

Most of those web sites uses MyISAM tables. They are very fast. And
the applications are usually not transaction oriented anyway.

Java on the other hand is usually transaction oriented. MyISAM tables
is a no no. And InnoDB tables is not faster than the alternatives.
So suddenly the alternatives makes sense.

PostgreSQL is one obvious alternative. For sufficient small data there
are also the free versions of the commercial databases: Oracle XE,
IBM DB2 Express C and Microsoft SQLServer Express Edition.

Arne

Lew

The SQL support in newer versions of MySQL is actually OK.

It is OK, in that it exists, but performance and execution plans reputedly are
not as efficient as in other systems. Postgres seems to support a more subtle
and rich set of SQL tricks and extensions, admittedly not of much use in
simple web-site apps but useful in data mining and high-volume transaction
applications.

I have used MySQL professionally and it will do the job if you use it right.
One thing about MySQL is that it isn't actually only one product - it
comprises a suite of database engines tuned for different application
profiles. Trying to speak of the One Right RDBMS is much like trying to
settle on the One Right Editor or One Right IDE.

In my own judgment, a statistical sample of one, MySQL is adequate for many
purposes, while Postgres and others are excellent for most purposes.

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
It is OK, in that it exists, but performance and execution plans
reputedly are not as efficient as in other systems. Postgres seems to
support a more subtle and rich set of SQL tricks and extensions,

What do you specifically miss in MySQL ?

Arne

RedGrittyBrick

Mr. X. said:
I got confused.
David said Derby has problems and is not supported
(Also at link : http://www.profectus.com.au/ee_freedbms.html)

Cloudscape is no longer actively supported by IBM [1]. IBM continue to
contribute to Apache Derby. Derby is supported by the Apache foundation
in the sense that they coordinate/provide further development and bug-fixes.

If you want to purchase an annual support contract for Derby, you can
buy that from Sun under the JavaDB name [2]

1: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2d64o6
2: http://developers.sun.com/javadb/support/

David Segall

I got confused.
David said Derby has problems and is not supported
(Also at link : http://www.profectus.com.au/ee_freedbms.html)
Oops! I certainly did not intend to say either of those things. The
reason the write up on Derby is longer than the rest is because I use
it and followed its evolution. I'm not sure why you concluded that
Derby has problems. If you can tell me I will try to clarify the note
on Derby. Meanwhile, I will remove some of the detail since that page
is not the right place for a history of Derby.