debug="false" in web.config and <%@ debug="true" ...%> in aspx file => true or false?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by André, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. André

    André Guest

    Hi,

    I put that question already, but it's still not very clear to me, so ...

    Assume following option in web.config=
    debug="false"

    but in one aspx page (test.aspx)
    <%@ debug="true" ..%>

    Am I right with those statements:
    1) 'page test.aspx will be debugged, but all others wil not' ?
    2) With other words, the option in aspx file has priority on the same option
    in web.config?
    3) Omitting the option debug="false" in web.config means debug is on?
    4) And finally, omitting option debug="false" in an aspx file has no
    consequence?

    Thanks
    Cas

    André, Aug 28, 2006

  2. André

    Tim_Mac Guest

    yes the page-level setting will override the application-level setting.
    however if you have debug=false in your web.config, then VS won't be able to
    debug the application interactively.

    i don't know the answer to 3) and 4) below, but i'm sure it is in the docs
    if you look it up.
    tim

    Tim_Mac, Aug 28, 2006

  3. André

    Kevin Jones Guest

    Re: debug="false" in web.config and <%@ debug="true" ...%> in aspxfile => true or false?

    > 1) 'page test.aspx will be debugged, but all others wil not' ?

    You will only get dbug output for that page, i.e. the compiler will save
    the generated code file only for that page, and the pdb only for that
    page (I believe). Although if you try to debug in VS2005, VS2005 will
    ask you to add a debug=true to web.config

    > 2) With other words, the option in aspx file has priority on the same

    option
    > in web.config?

    Sort of

    > 3) Omitting the option debug="false" in web.config means debug is on?

    No! Debugging is off by default. You have to turn it on explicitly.

    > 4) And finally, omitting option debug="false" in an aspx file has no
    > consequence?

    Depends (see 1 and 2 above), but by default debugging is off. If you
    don't set the debug option on the page then the one in web.config is read,

    Kevin Jones

    Kevin Jones, Aug 28, 2006
  4. André

    Cas Guest