Debug Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by gfergo@gmail.com, May 31, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Good Morning,

    I seem to be having a problem. I thought I could display detailed
    debugging information (including file name and line number) on a page
    using two different methods:

    1.) modify the debug attribute of the compilation element in the
    web.config file -

    <system.web>
    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"></compilation>
    </system.web>

    2.) modify the debug attribute of the @ Page directive at the top of
    my page -

    <%@ Page Debug="true" %>

    The first method is working fine -- but it turns detailed debugging on
    across the entire site.

    The second method does not appear to be working -- once I set
    debug="false" in the web.config then it doesn't seem to matter what I
    do in the page itself.

    With debug="false" in the web.config and debug="true" in the page, I
    see this -

    The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be
    shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one
    of the below steps, then request the URL:

    1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated
    the error. Example:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

    or:

    2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your
    application:

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="true"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given
    application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will
    cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

    Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/
    performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has
    debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

    Thank you!

    , May 31, 2007

    We may have found the problem...

    In our application we have placed all of our codebehind files in the /
    App_Code directory and in the ASPX pages we have removed the
    CodeFile="" attribute from the @ Page directive. We only use
    Inherits="".

    Can anyone confirm if this truly means that we cannot turn debugging
    on for individual pages?

    Is there a way to turn debugging on inside the CodeBehind file (i.e.
    Page.Debug="true") instead of using Debug="true" in the @ Page
    directive?

    Thanks!

    , May 31, 2007