Debugging problems in .NET...breakpoints never hit.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Doug Swanson, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Doug Swanson

    Doug Swanson Guest

    I have my project(s) set to Debug mode...asp.net debugging is enabled, I've
    re-registered asp_net. This particular solution has an asp.net and an ASP
    application in it...I can set breakpoints in the ASP application and the
    breakpoints are hit but the breakpoints in the asp.net application are never
    hit. This used to work and I'm not sure what happened to cause it to
    break....I've read all of the posts/documents that I can find but I still
    can't debug....very frustrating..(especially for an overworked developer
    ;))...any help would be greatly appreciated..

    thanks
    Doug

    --
    Doug Swanson
    Senior Applications Developer
    Doug Swanson, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Doug Swanson

    David Browne Guest

    "Doug Swanson" <> wrote in message
    > I have my project(s) set to Debug mode...asp.net debugging is enabled,

    I've
    > re-registered asp_net. This particular solution has an asp.net and an

    ASP
    > application in it...I can set breakpoints in the ASP application and the
    > breakpoints are hit but the breakpoints in the asp.net application are

    never
    > hit. This used to work and I'm not sure what happened to cause it to
    > break....I've read all of the posts/documents that I can find but I still
    > can't debug....very frustrating..(especially for an overworked developer
    > ;))...any help would be greatly appreciated..

    Try:

    Instead of debugging with F5, just run the web app from IE, and attach the
    aspnet_wp.exe process with Tools\Debug Processes. Be sure to pick the right
    AppDomain to debug.

    David
    David Browne, Jul 25, 2003

  3. David,

    I am having a similar problem to Doug and have tried everything
    recommended, except attaching "the aspnet_wp.exe process with
    Tools\Debug Processes". Can you explain how to do this?

    In VS, I have selected 'Tools' -> 'Debug Processes' and can see my
    ASP.NET assembly running under the process IEXPLORE.EXE. I have
    selected the attach button and under option 'Choose the program types
    you want to debug', I have ticked the option 'Common Language Runtime'
    (other options include 'Microsoft T-SQL' and 'Script') and the process
    is added to the 'Debugged Processes' list.

    Now, I initiate an event where I know a breakpoint has been
    strategicly placed and (drum-roll) - no debugging.

    What have I missed?

    Stephen

    Stephen Miller, Jul 28, 2003
  4. Doug Swanson

    David Browne Guest

    "Stephen Miller" <> wrote in message
    > David,
    >
    > I am having a similar problem to Doug and have tried everything
    > recommended, except attaching "the aspnet_wp.exe process with
    > Tools\Debug Processes". Can you explain how to do this?
    >
    > In VS, I have selected 'Tools' -> 'Debug Processes' and can see my
    > ASP.NET assembly running under the process IEXPLORE.EXE.

    IEXPLORE is internet explorer. Only client-side javascript runs there.

    You want aspnet_wp.exe (make sure you have "Show system processes" and "Show
    processes in all sessions" checked). "Attach" the aspnet_wp.exe process,
    click "Common Language Runtime", and choose which AppDomains you want to
    debug.

    That's it. Make sure the web server is running an up-to-date debug build of
    your application.

    If the web server is on a different machine, you have to install Visual
    Studio Remote Debugging on the web server. This is on disk 1 of VS.

    David
    David Browne, Jul 28, 2003
  5. Doug Swanson

    > David,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply...following your process I am able to get debug to
    > work...but it is a pain to go through all of these extra steps to get
    > the debug process for aspnet_wp.exe process...is there something else I
    > can do (bug fixes, reinstall vs.net?) that would clear this thing up and
    > get it back to what it was? (be able to press f5 and then debug works!)

    I don't know.
    I spent my whole life's quota of trying to get this kind of debugging
    working back on Visual Interdev.
    At the first sign of trouble I give up and attach the proccess.

    David
    David Browne, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Doug Swanson

    Doug Swanson Guest

    I know exactly what you're saying...I guess my debugging routine has
    changed...thanks
    Doug

    Doug Swanson, Jul 28, 2003