Debugging

Guest

I have a web application which has a reference to another Namespace for which
I have create a reference to.
When I am in the debug mode, I can step through the code just fine until I
get to the line of code which reference a method and class in this
"reference" namespace. When I get to the line, the debugger does not take me
into that class/method and allow me to walk through the code, even though I
am referencing the "debug version" of that reference namespace/class.
Other times, it works just fine, but sometimes it refuses and I have not
figured out what the trick is to get it to allow me to walk through that code.
What is the trick to making this always work?

Nick Hertl

When you get to the line of code that calls into your other referenced
assembly, be sure to use "Step Into" rather than "Step". The
difference is that "step" only brings you to the next line of code in
the current function and "step into" brings you into the function call
that you're on, and if it's not a funcion call, it acts just like
"step".

Another option would be to set a breakpoint on the piece of code in
this other assembly that you are interested in debugging. This way you
don't even have to step, but rather just "Go" and you will land right
in the area where you want to debug.