Default page names?

Ken Spreitzer

Hi, all.

This should be a simple question. What are the default page names when the
web site is running ASP.NET?

I'm referring to the list that you see when you run the IIS Mgr and choose a
website's properties then go to the Documents tab. For a standard,
pre-ASP.NET website the default documents were:

Default.htm
Default.asp
index.htm
iisstart.asp

I assume that some new ones like default.aspx have been added?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Nathan Sokalski

I am not an expert on configuring IIS, but I believe you can add whatever
names you want. I also believe that the default names are still the same
*.htm names (Default.htm & index.htm) unless you change them. I believe this
is because *.htm files are standalone, client-side, and do not need to be
compiled or included as part of the project, so the developer does not need
to worry about including them when working with the site. What some people
do if they want their initial page to be an *.aspx file but don't want to or
don't have permission to modify the IIS settings is use a Refresh META tag,
as follows:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.mysite.com/index.aspx">

I think that the default IIS setup still uses the *.asp files in the list,
because even though they are server-side, because they are not compiled and
are standalone. This is the best info I can give, hopefully it will help.
Good Luck!

Ken Spreitzer

Thanks for the answer.

Also, I just ran across this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/08/HTTPFilters/

which includes the comment:

"IIS uses default.htm, default.asp, and default.aspx as default document
names."
which is exactly what I was looking for. I'm posting it here in case it
helps someone else.

(Interesting that it doesn't list index.htm, which was included in earlier
versions of IIS. And perhaps it's muddling the distinction between IIS and
ASP.NET. IAC, it's enough info for my purposes.)

Thanks!
--Ken