Deploying on non-standard port w/multiple virtual directories

Greg W.

In our setup project, we have the standard web
application folder, but we also have 4 web custom folders
(virtual directories) that are created at the same level
as the web application folder (i.e. not subdirectories).
The setup works fine as long as the user leaves the
default setting of port 80. If they choose something
different, the install program loads the web application
folder correctly at the non-standard port, but it
installs the other 4 virtual directories (web custom
folders) in the standard port 80 web. I realize I can
hardcode a port number in the properties for each web
custom folder, but then the install program becomes
specific to each customer. Does anyone know of a way to
tell a web custom folder to use the same port that was
selected by the end-user during the install process for
the main web application folder?

-Greg W.

David Guyer [MS]

So, there is a way to do this... You need to know the Property property
values for each of your Web Custom Folders. Typically, they are something
like NEWWEBPROPERTY1.

Then, you need to run your install from the command line. Let's say your
web server is on port 20 instead. You also need to include TARGETPORT for
the Web Application Folder. So, your command line would look like this for
just one web folder, add more PROPERTY=VALUE pairs for each web folder...

msiexec /i mywebsetup.msi TARGETPORT=20 NEWWEBPROPERTY1PORT=20

That should redirect each listed folder's port to the specified port.

You might want to remove the Installation Address dialog, since if someone
changes the port in the UI during install time, the Custom Web Folders will
use the command line value.

Greg W.

That's great. Thanks for the info David.

-Greg