Deploying Web Service on Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Kalem, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Kalem

    Kalem Guest

    Hi all.
    I've created a web service that runs fine on my development PC running W2K.
    The service is consumed by an ASPX page. (written using vb.net). I can deploy
    the webservice without any issues to another W2K production server and
    discover the service from the rebuilt ASPX application (now referencing the
    production version). The issue I'm having is that when I deploy to a Windows
    Server 2003 environment it doesnt seem to want to work for me.
    This is what I've tried so far.
    1. Packaged and deployed the service using the msi installer.
    2. Edited the directory Security so that the service runs under a trusted
    account with premissions to examine AD information (which is what the service
    returns).
    3. Run it under the defaultAppPool which has the identity of Network Services.
    4. Created a new Application Pool which runs under the same identity as in
    step 2.
    5. Changed the virtual directory of the service to run under the new
    application pool.
    6. Changed the machine.config file to uncomment the GET and POST elements of
    the webservice section.
    7. Added the web service dll to the web serverice extensions allowed list.
    Also added the .asmx file to this one as I'm not sure what difference it will
    make.

    So far nothing seems to have worked.
    When I try to access the asmx file from a browser to examine the service
    descriptor I get either of the following depending on what account im running
    the service under. Using the Network Services account the application pool
    stays enabled but I get the following response on the webpage "The specified
    procedure could not be found. "
    Using the trusted account I get the "Service Unavailabe " message and the
    application pool becomes disabled.

    I know this is a rather long msg but I figure the more detail I provide the
    better. Any help you could provide would be most welcome.

    Kalem.
    Kalem, Jan 12, 2005

  2. Kalem

    Mujtaba Syed Guest

    Can your Win2003 server serve simple HTML pages? Can it run ASP.NET pages?

    Mujtaba Syed, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Kalem

    Kalem Guest

    Currently the server is running another application "eRooms" which does not
    seem to be having any issues serving .asp pages.
    I do know that the Web Service Extensions for Active Server Pages is
    switched to allowed.
    Kalem

    Kalem, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Kalem

    Mujtaba Syed Guest

    You need to try out ASPX pages. This will confirm that ASP.NET is properly
    setup on your server.

    Mujtaba Syed, Jan 14, 2005