    advance.

    Best regards,
    Ravi
    Ravi Shankar Nair, May 17, 2006

  2. Ravi Shankar Nair

    VisionSet Guest

    "Ravi Shankar Nair" <> wrote in message
    news:e4fchu$khi$...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Whats the difference between Design and Architecture? In my opinion,

    design
    > is the superset of architecture, because architecture needs design or

    design
    > should precede architecture. For example, in a three tier architecture, I
    > design first tier as the presentation, second tier as the business and

    third
    > as the database.
    >
    > My friend says architecture is the superset.
    >
    > Can anyone please elaborate, whether my friend is correct or me? Thanks in
    > advance.

    I take it you mean Design as in OOAD and Architecture as in Software
    Architecture. Architecture is about organisation of components and
    application of appropriate patterns and as such is a part of the design
    process.

    --
    Mike W
    VisionSet, May 17, 2006

  3. Ravi Shankar Nair

    VisionSet Guest

    "VisionSet" <> wrote in message

    > "Ravi Shankar Nair" <> wrote in message
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > Whats the difference between Design and Architecture? In my opinion,

    > design
    > > is the superset of architecture, because architecture needs design or

    > design
    > > should precede architecture. For example, in a three tier architecture,

    > > design first tier as the presentation, second tier as the business and

    > third
    > > as the database.
    > >
    > > My friend says architecture is the superset.
    > >
    > > Can anyone please elaborate, whether my friend is correct or me? Thanks

    in
    > > advance.
    > >

    > I take it you mean Design as in OOAD and Architecture as in Software
    > Architecture. Architecture is about organisation of components and
    > application of appropriate patterns and as such is a part of the design
    > process.

    The problem is probably that you have different definitions for what design
    is.
    Design could be taken as a verb meaning the process as I have chosen to. Or
    it could be taken as a noun and infer lower level 'mechanistic design' or
    'detailed design'.

    --
    Mike W
    VisionSet, May 17, 2006
  4. Ravi Shankar Nair

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Ravi Shankar Nair wrote:

    > Whats the difference between Design and Architecture? In my opinion,
    > design is the superset of architecture, because architecture needs design
    > or design should precede architecture.

    The way /I/ use English, I would say that either

    The architecture is one aspect of the design.

    or

    When I'm designing, one of the things I decide on is the architecture.

    (depending on which sense of the word "design" we are using). So I broadly
    agree with you.

    Incidentally, one proof of this is that I might create a design which allows me
    to /change/ the architecture (as a trivial code change, or a configuration
    change, or perhaps even on-the-fly). For instance I might have an application
    which could run as either a thick client or a thin client.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, May 18, 2006
  5. Chris Uppal wrote:
    > The way /I/ use English, I would say that either
    >
    > The architecture is one aspect of the design.
    >
    > or
    >
    > When I'm designing, one of the things I decide on is the architecture.

    People design architectures, but people also use pre-existing
    architectures (e.g. n-tier architectures) as base for their design of a
    concrete solution.

    IMHO, the OP's original question can only be answered if one agrees on a
    set of criteria which should be used to establish the the super/subset
    relation - if any. There might be no such relation.

    /Thomas
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    Thomas Weidenfeller, May 18, 2006