Designing an ASP.NET wizard?

Edward

My client has asked me to design an application where adding a new
record will be like a "Wizard".

Obviously my initial thought was to do the usual Windows Forms thing
of navigating backwards and forwards through a series of discrete
forms, holding the users's hand through the process.

My second thought was to use a single form with successive <div>
blocks that would be revealed or hidden according to the navigation
instruction.

Are there any codified rules or guidelines on the best way to approach
the creation of this kind of applet? I want to give the client value
for money but also want to maximise my own profits. In case it makes
any difference, the application is to do with applications to open an
account, and the wizard will guide the user through the various
criteria that may or may not result in the application being accepted,
refused or referred elsewhere.

Thanks

Edward

Alberto Poblacion

Edward said:
My client has asked me to design an application where adding a new
record will be like a "Wizard".
[...]
Are there any codified rules or guidelines on the best way to approach
the creation of this kind of applet?

Why don't you use the existing asp:Wizard control? It became available
in the Framework 2.0, and it gives you a series of "containers" for the
various steps, as well as the usual navigation options to jump from step to
step.

Edward

Alberto Poblacion said:
Edward said:
My client has asked me to design an application where adding a new
record will be like a "Wizard".
[...]
Are there any codified rules or guidelines on the best way to approach
the creation of this kind of applet?

Why don't you use the existing asp:Wizard control? It became available
in the Framework 2.0, and it gives you a series of "containers" for the
various steps, as well as the usual navigation options to jump from step to
step.

Thanks Alberto - I wasn't even aware of its existence. I'll go away now and
see what it does.

Edward