Detecting MS Outlook 2002/2003

Emil Frank

Hi all,

Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
JavaScript?

Thanks,

Emil

Philip Ronan

Hi all,

Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
JavaScript?

Thanks,

Emil

You can't. Client-side Javascript is built with security features to stop
people snooping around on their visitors' systems.

However there is an HTML solution. Something like this should do the trick:

===
<FORM action="...">
<P>Do you have Outlook 2002/2003 installed?</P>
<P><LABEL><INPUT type="radio" name="have_oe" value="no" checked>
No</LABEL><BR>
<LABEL><INPUT type="radio" name="have_oe" value="yes"> Yes</LABEL></P>
<P><INPUT type="submit" value="Submit"></P>
</FORM>
===

Mark Preston

Emil said:
Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
JavaScript?
You don't. You can't - security measures stop you snooping on a client
system at all.

Emil Frank

Hi all,

Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
JavaScript?

Thanks,

Emil

Hi,

Hmm...on the other side there are Java Script utilities available that
allow to detect whether Office or MS Messenger is installed on the
client side.

See:

http://silkworth.net/browser_os/plugs.html

So I was wondering whether the same could be done for Outlook?

Thanks,

Emil

Philip Ronan

Hi,

Hmm...on the other side there are Java Script utilities available that
allow to detect whether Office or MS Messenger is installed on the
client side.

See:

http://silkworth.net/browser_os/plugs.html

So I was wondering whether the same could be done for Outlook?

The page you mentioned just checks for browser plug-ins. But even that can't
be done reliably. In fact all I get from this page is a string of Javascript
errors, which is kind of funny in a way because I'm actually using Internet
Explorer.

kaeli

Hi all,

Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
JavaScript?

Use an HTA (jscript). You have a lot more options there.

This cannot be done without supressing normal javascript security, which an
HTA is not subject to. I assume this is for an intranet app. Any other use,
you really can't.

Emil Frank

Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Can you please point me to a few JScript samples that illustrate how
this could be done!

Thanks in advance,

Emil