    JavaScript?

    Thanks,

    Emil
    Emil Frank, Sep 27, 2004

  2. Emil Frank

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 27/9/04 11:49 pm, Emil Frank wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
    > 2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
    > JavaScript?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Emil

    You can't. Client-side Javascript is built with security features to stop
    people snooping around on their visitors' systems.

    However there is an HTML solution. Something like this should do the trick:

    ===
    <FORM action="...">
    <P>Do you have Outlook 2002/2003 installed?</P>
    <P><LABEL><INPUT type="radio" name="have_oe" value="no" checked>
    No</LABEL><BR>
    <LABEL><INPUT type="radio" name="have_oe" value="yes"> Yes</LABEL></P>
    <P><INPUT type="submit" value="Submit"></P>
    </FORM>
    ===

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Sep 28, 2004

  3. Emil Frank

    Mark Preston Guest

    Emil Frank wrote:

    > Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
    > 2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
    > JavaScript?

    You don't. You can't - security measures stop you snooping on a client
    system at all.
    Mark Preston, Sep 28, 2004
  4. Emil Frank

    Emil Frank Guest

    (Emil Frank) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
    > 2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
    > JavaScript?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Emil

    Hi,

    Hmm...on the other side there are Java Script utilities available that
    allow to detect whether Office or MS Messenger is installed on the
    client side.

    See:

    http://silkworth.net/browser_os/plugs.html

    So I was wondering whether the same could be done for Outlook?

    Thanks,

    Emil
    Emil Frank, Sep 28, 2004
  5. Emil Frank

    Philip Ronan Guest

    On 28/9/04 6:00 pm, Emil Frank wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Hmm...on the other side there are Java Script utilities available that
    > allow to detect whether Office or MS Messenger is installed on the
    > client side.
    >
    > See:
    >
    > http://silkworth.net/browser_os/plugs.html
    >
    > So I was wondering whether the same could be done for Outlook?

    The page you mentioned just checks for browser plug-ins. But even that can't
    be done reliably. In fact all I get from this page is a string of Javascript
    errors, which is kind of funny in a way because I'm actually using Internet
    Explorer.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Sep 28, 2004
  6. Emil Frank

    kaeli Guest

    In article <>,
    enlightened us with...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Via client side JavaScript I need to detect whether Outlook 2002 or
    > 2003 is installed on a client machine. How can I do that using
    > JavaScript?

    Use an HTA (jscript). You have a lot more options there.

    This cannot be done without supressing normal javascript security, which an
    HTA is not subject to. I assume this is for an intranet app. Any other use,
    you really can't.

    ~kaeli~
    Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
    http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
    kaeli, Sep 29, 2004
  7. Emil Frank

    Emil Frank Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for your help!

    Can you please point me to a few JScript samples that illustrate how
    this could be done!

    Thanks in advance,

    Emil

    Emil Frank, Oct 13, 2004