Developing Commercial Applications in Python

Aahz

Also see Python Success Stories: http://pythonology.org/success

A notable example is Verity's search engine -- see
http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf

Actually, your statement is slightly inaccurate. The Verity search
engine is more than fifteen years old in its core technology; it was
started as a LISP project at IIRC MIT. (At one point I was much amused
to look at the C source code and find car() and cdr() functions.) As of
my last information, Python isn't used at all in or with the Verity
search engine. What you're referring to is the Verity Ultraseek engine,
originally written and owned by Infoseek before getting transferred to
Verity through a series of dot-bomb transactions. The Ultraseek engine
doesn't use Python, but Python is used to control the engine, and I think
much of the spider is written in Python.

Stephen Waterbury

Aahz said:
Also see Python Success Stories: http://pythonology.org/success

A notable example is Verity's search engine -- see
http://python.oreilly.com/news/PythonSS.pdf

Actually, your statement is slightly inaccurate. The Verity search
engine is more than fifteen years old in its core technology; it was
started as a LISP project at IIRC MIT. (At one point I was much amused
to look at the C source code and find car() and cdr() functions.) As of
my last information, Python isn't used at all in or with the Verity
search engine. What you're referring to is the Verity Ultraseek engine,
originally written and owned by Infoseek before getting transferred to
Verity through a series of dot-bomb transactions. The Ultraseek engine
doesn't use Python, but Python is used to control the engine, and I think
much of the spider is written in Python.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Aahz didn't add anything useful that wasn't explained
better in the article itself, pointing to which was the purpose
of my post, but he is correct: Python was *not* used to write
the Verity search engine ... how the hell do these stupid rumors
get started anyhow?? ;). Just read the article, dammit! :)

Cheers,
Steve

Aahz

Actually, Aahz didn't add anything useful that wasn't explained better
in the article itself, pointing to which was the purpose of my post,
but he is correct: Python was *not* used to write the Verity search
engine ... how the hell do these stupid rumors get started anyhow?? ;).
Just read the article, dammit! :)

You're quite correct that I added little useful information, but seeing
as I used to work at Verity, I couldn't resist adding some hopefully
interesting and/or amusing trivia. Especially the LISP bit.

Stephen Waterbury

Aahz said:
You're quite correct that I added little useful information, but seeing
as I used to work at Verity, I couldn't resist adding some hopefully
interesting and/or amusing trivia. Especially the LISP bit.

Well GEEZ, you should've mentioned that you used to work there!
All the trivia *were* amusing ... sorry if I harshed! :)

Cheers,
Steve