Developing with Tomcat

Neobyte

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to Tomcat (and Java) but have a local instance
running on my PC that came packaged with Netbeans. I have written a
servlet application that works fine on my local machine.

I have a SUSE10 box where I have installed Tomcat, and have
successfully run a separate servlet there.

The issue I have is - how do I configure my local Netbeans to work
with the remote Tomcat? I have my project folder set up on the SUSE10
box via a samba share. I symlink under webapps to the base directory
of my project folder. However I get class not found errors when I try
to access said jsp.

What I am really after is some set of instructions as to how to
configure Netbeans to work with a remote Tomcat server. Does anyone
have any pointers? I've googled this to death. I get the feeling
that the folder structure that Netbeans uses to store files is not
natively recognised by the remote Tomcat.

Apologies if this multi-posts, Google's web client is timing out.

Cheers

Lew

Neobyte said:
The issue I have is - how do I configure my local Netbeans to work
with the remote Tomcat? I have my project folder set up on the SUSE10
box via a samba share. I symlink under webapps to the base directory
of my project folder. However I get class not found errors when I try
to access said jsp.

The base of the project folder for Netbeans is not the base of the deployed
application. That lies under build/ or dist/ somewhere within your project.

The symlink is not needed because Netbeans will tell Tomcat where the
deployment directory is.

In Netbeans you can go into the "Runtime" tab, right-click on "Servers" and
"Add server" to let it know about your other Tomcat.

-- Lew